Suzuki 2005 DF 50 stalls and dies at high speed.

SteveDR83

Recruit
I wanted to give something back to the community, hope this helps someone. I recently purchased a 2005 Suzuki DF 50, and it stalled at high speed, just died while driving for about 3 minutes, temperature was around 60, I've heard the stories about Suzuki vapor lock, but for the most part that's a symptom of fuel storage/delivery rather than engine design.

I bought the unit because I knew it was something fuel related, so I wasn't that concerned, many of us remember our old teachers explaining the basics of the IC engine. I see a lot of people complain about Suzuki along with the other manufacturers, but it's almost never an engine design flaw. Here is my word of caution, always buy OEM parts. So it turned out my problem was the Chinese fuel tank and check valve (Air Compressor fitting) was a failing. I followed the fuel path just like any other IC engine and checked everything along the way, eliminating one problem at a time. The engine was beautiful inside, looked like the day it left the dealership, so I was pretty sure that wasn't the issue. My other rule of thumb is watch out for anything that you can tell someone has been wrenching on. So I threw away the Chinese tank, whose manufacturer began with a T, and ordered a new OEM Suzuki tank, cost about 1/3 higher than the Chinese version. I understand it's hard to find OEM parts sometimes and the Chinese stuff is so available (and cheap), but it always seems the knockoff stuff causes nothing but issues. Anyway before you start changing low pressure fuel pumps and high pressure fuel pumps Map sensors, injectors and putting in auxiliary fuel pumps, check your Chinese tank.Hope this saves someone.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I guess your stalling problem is gone now?

Monitoring fuel pressures(high and low) should have given an indication of a restriction and/or if it was sucking air into the fuel system.
that in turn would lead people to look at the tank,lines, pick up tube, connections,etc.

what was the problem with the tank and or check valve?
(not sure why you call it a air compressor fitting)

SteveDR83

Recruit
You are correct, it is gone. The coupler between the check valve and tank was not sealing, I'm not sure if there was a tolerance issue or some other defect, there was nothing wrong with the engine. I call it an air compressor fitting because it uses the same design type.