95 55hp jet not running 100%

Weldertech

Recruit
I've had problems with this motor from day 1. I just got it back from the shop and tested it today and it's not acting like its running full rpms. It's better than it was before I got it worked on but still not satisfied. When I got this motor the oil injection was in a box and everything was blocked off. Boat mechanic changed throttle control sensor and checked carbs and said it ran great on a hose which it does but won't when it's in the water and i noticed when I have it hooked on the hose and running there's a red light on the front of the motor that doesn't come on until it's in the water and I try to take off wot. I had a 30/20 jet on this boat before and it would almost throw me out of the boat when I take off but this motor is a turd. I don't have rpm gage or nothing to see what it's running but to me it sounds like it's half throttle. i wasn't sure if it has a rev limiter causing it or if the oil injection being gone throwing some kind of sensor causing it. Any help greatly appreciated.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I do not think a 95 motor would have a throttle sensor of any kind.
what does it sense? and where does it send the info?

did the tech put the oil system back on?

motor needs more fuel under load, maybe it is just a fuel problem
take it back and tell them they did not fix the problem
need to find out what that red light is for.
owners manual would come in handy

Weldertech

Recruit
It was throttle position sensor my correction. I know the fuel line and tank is all good cuz I used it prior to getting this motor. A lot of stuff I've read I'm wondering if the wate flow sensor is bad causing it not to run wot. I'm gonna hook the boat up to the hose shortly and tinker with it see if I can come up with something

Weldertech

Recruit
The oil injection wasn't put back on and the light that comes on on the motor is a low oil light. Think this could be the cause of my problem? If I have to I'll have the oil injection put back on but if not I don't mind mixing oil with gas all my boats are mixed. The one oil injection boat I had left me stranded on the river by myself cuz I got use to not checking the oil that often.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
seems I do not know if this is a DT Suzuki or a yamaha.
Yamaha only has a low oil level where suks have a oil flow along with oil level I believe.

both will cause RPM redution or limiting is it calls for alarm

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
If it has the tank under the hood and a low oil light could be your problem. Yamahas when the oil gets low will pull the RPMs down to 2000 for safety

Weldertech

Recruit
It's a Suzuki 55hp compression is perfect. Sounds like it's running on all cylinders doesn't ever hiccup or anything it runs and idles good just doesn't want to get rpms up to over 5000 like they should be. I don't have an rpm gauge but sounds more like it's running half throttle when it's wide open. I even called a Suzuki dealer yesterday they turned me down and don't even want to work on it cuz of its age.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
need to find out what is bringing in the red light.
I believe suzukis had oil flow switch somewhere and I am sure oil level.

they also had water level switch in head and I would think overheat switch also, do not know if they bring in a different light or same one.

might monitor the timing to see if it is advancing as it should, and in spec and if timing is retarded when light comes on.

clip pn incuctive timeing light will also show if each plug is getting spark when moved to the individual plug wires