2003 25hp yamaha 4 stroke

titaniumneck

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just received a 2003 25hp yamaha 4 stroke. The previous owner said it was froze up, but it's not. It is very stiff to turn over using 1/2 breaker bar attached to flywheel nut. I think they burnt the starter up, positive wire from battery's plastic was melted off. So starter will pop up, but not strong enough to turn motor over. Drained oil, only about a half a cup of oil in it. Refilled, but any idea on why it would be so stiff, and what to do to fix it. It is not so stiff that you have to strain to turn it over, but with plugs out its too stiff.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
drop the lower unit , just to make sure it is the power head and not lower unit.

if it is the power head, it will need to come apart to see what you find.
could be pistons, or bearings

titaniumneck

Petty Officer 1st Class
It is the lower unit is the problem, took the lower unit off. Hook up the gas and started right up.
So now I am getting into the lower unit and the hub want come out. I've got the impeller off, the shift linkage out, remove the two 10mm bolts from back of hub, and it will not budge. You can tell the person or persons before me tried and broke all the aluminum Ridge. I am going to get a harmonic balance puller and try that tomorrow. Any suggestions.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
on some motors you can use a slide hammer attached to the prop shaft( make an adapter to screw onto it) to pull the carrier along with the shaft, But I am not familiar with your motor and if that would work or not.

I have used a piece of plywood with a hole cut in it along with spacers to screw the prop nut onto the shaft to pull the carrier and shaft on a C60 and other motors before. using the plywood to rest against the housing and pull on shaft

ask a local dealer how they do it or get a service manual to see if that will tell.
good luck

Last edited: