VMAX 225 water pump issue

TexasCyclone

Recruit
I'm helping a friend with his outboard.
His engine is not shooting water out of the discharge. He replaced the rubber vane in the metal housing, but still no water out of the discharge. That's when he called me. (I'm not a boat guy, but am very mechanically inclined)
The large o-ring on the housing had been secured with silicone, but upon disassembly, we noticed it was displaced. He insisted on not using it upon reassembly. (Not my choice)
His overheat alarm has never sounded, so we're assuming the thermostat is working. The engine hasn't overheated.
He blew compressed air through the discharge while disassembled, and no debris came out.
Any ideas?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
my guess is you are talking about the tell tail.
usually the water pump kit is a better way to go and not just the impeller replacement.

need to trace the hose from TT back to see where it comes from and see if that is plugged up.
blowing compressed air up the TT while the motor is running on muffs and the flush attachment if out of the water, to see if that moves something around

N1NE1

Petty Officer 1st Class
On muffs or in the water? I had the same issue when I changed out my impeller,No stream on muffs but as soon as its in water,it started working just fine.