New Yamaha T9.9 orientation?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Hiya fellas!

I just snagged this Yamaha that will eventually serve as a kicker motor for my 26' Starcraft Sportfisherman...
s-l1600.jpg

It's a 2013 High Thrust version, electric start with power T&T and it's got less than 100 hours on it.

It just arrived to me and before I fire it up I'm going through a few things here and have a few things I couldn't figure out that I need some help with. Any of you guys have some experience with these motors? All my stuff is really old, this one is light years ahead of all my gear!

1. I have found an "Owners Manual" online but at first glance it seems terrible. Is there a good quality "Service Manual" somewhere out there? Online version maybe?

2. How exactly does the oil light indicator work on the front side? Red on is good? Or off (no light) good? What should I be seeing there?

3. I was getting my hands on everything under the hood just to try and familiarize myself with the setup and there are a few pieces I'd like to understand. What is this white/clear hose for? It's clamped to the block on one side and loose on the other....
20170112_042750.jpg

4. Next to that white hose is a grey hose that is blocked off with a bolt and hose clamp, what is this for? Where does it go?
20170112_043157.jpg

5. Right next to the choke is an empty hole, what is supposed to go here?
20170112_043233.jpg

Thanks in advance guys:thumb:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I cannot help with a motor that new either, but a bolt for a plug and screw clamps are not things Yamaha used on their motors for anything that I know of.

also 1st pic looks like a bullet hole in the cowling

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Here is a link to the Yamaha owner's manual at their website

http://yamahaoutboards.com/sites/default/files/manuals/LIT-18626-09-87.pdf

A service manual is available from Yamaha themselves or from any Yamaha outboard motor dealer. Hard copy only.
http://www.yamahapubs.com/

Using the complete identification for the motor you can go to Yamaha's website and open up the parts book for your specific model. You can then trace down the hoses you are asking about.

http://yamahamc.partsandwarranty.com/SyndicateNav.cfm?NodeID=1628318&Page=1

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Hey bosco, thanks for the owners manual link. The one I had downloaded must have been incorrect, that one is way better.

Service manual, hard copy only, got it, good info there.

I nosed around for a little while but couldn't find exactly what I was after on the parts page. I'll need to dig a little better to see if I can ID those hoses.

Thanks!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
So, to follow up with answers on just a few of my questions (thanks again to bosco's correct manual)...

For the oil indicator, on is bad, off is good.

The empty hole right next to the choke is for a starter button. My starter button is actually located at the base of my tiller handle so that hole there is just empty.

So, I now just need to figure out what the clear/white hose and the blocked off grey hose is for.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
you did not respond to the comment on the hole in cowling.
I do not think they come with a hole up there,
is it a bullet hole?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
you did not respond to the comment on the hole in cowling.
I do not think they come with a hole up there,
is it a bullet hole?

Nope, nothing gang related with this little outboard, that's actually the air intake:thumb:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The link didn't show, but in my part of the world people tap into the pee tube and run it into a hand wash tank so you always have warm water to clean up with, on freezing days this is a great option.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Hmmmm, maybe this link will work....

So you think it may have tapped into a hand wash? Huh, interesting.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Nope, that didn't work, maybe copy and paste this one?

yamahaonlineparts.com/pages/OemParts#/Yamaha_Outboard/T9.9GPXH_-_2006_and_Later/CYLINDER_CRANKCASE_1/T9.9GPXH_(2011_OUTBOARD_MOTORS)/CYLINDER_CRANKCASE_1_(T9.9GPXH_-_2011)

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
None of the links are working,....

Is there such a thing as a crank case breather tube on those??

I agree that a clamped bolt isn't Yamaha factory fitting,...

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
yamahaonlineparts.com/pages/OemParts#/Yamaha_Outboard/T9.9GPXH_-_2006_and_Later/CYLINDER_CRANKCASE_1/T9.9GPXH_(2011_OUTBOARD_MOTORS)/CYLINDER_CRANKCASE_1_(T9.9GPXH_-_2011)

If you copy that ^^^ and paste in in your browser you should get there. The hose is #17.

Nope, it not a breather, I've got hot water coming out of there.

Last edited:

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Still can't find anything with that, Copy and paste come up blank for me,..

Are you going to put a static plate on the new Starcraft your rebuilding to use the kicker on the little fishing boat?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Weird, works on my end. This will live on the bracket of my 26' Sportfisherman.

I just need to figure out what these two hoses go to eh.

Attached a screen shot of the diagram...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-14 at 2.32.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-14 at 2.32.50 PM.png
    86.9 KB · Views: 1

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
All right, got it! Man that was bugging me that I couldn't figure it out. I poured over all the schematics and search the interweb high and low and couldn't find any kind of useful info.

I got to thinking about what ondarvr mentioned up there......then I took the lower cowling off and saw....
20170115_055708.jpg

I started thinking things through and matching what I was looking at up top. I pulled that hose, blew air into it and noticed that the pathway ended up exhausting out through the prop.

So yah, that clear/white hose must have been used as some sort of hot water system for the original boat. I don't need that sort of setup so I pulled that off and made the original connection which now looks like...
20170115_063013.jpg

Problem solved:becky:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
That is not the tell tail if it dumps into the exhaust,
some motors had fuel coolers that dumped back into the motor like that, but I have no idea if yours used anything like that