Yamaha 20hp troubles...

JonR.

Recruit
First post here...

It's a 2007 F20 PLH. I am 3rd owner, had it for 1 year now. It is my first boat and outboard I have owned. It's paired with a 12' Livingston. I can barely get up on plane and I can't get over 3200 RPM's. I am mechanically inclined. I've changed the plugs, oil, gear oil. The plugs come out looking like it's rich, I've changed them twice. Electric start, it fires right up and idles. It had water in the fuel when I bought and would barely idle. I cleaned the fuel filter and tank out and have put a few hours on it since I got it. It idles fine, revs up fine to 3000-3200 but never over. Neutral switch works because I can't start it in gear. I haven't pulled the carb apart and I haven't looked into thermostat possibly being stuck open. I have never seen the led warning lights come on, ever after an oil change I figured the oil light would come on at first start up. I don't know if that system is functioning. The boat and engine looked almost new when I purchased them. The engine and boat were sold as a pair when new.

Looking for any input.
Thanks - Jon

RobertThoreson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Idk much about the ignition system on one that new but sounds to me like your timing might not be advancing. I'm not sure if that has a mechanical or electronic advance system