Need help with Yamaha 25hp outboard

nwe319

Recruit
Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:30 am
Let me start by saying I have VERY limited knowledge of boat motors. I have recently purchased a 2005 G3 1548 with a tiller steer 4 stroke 25hp Yamaha, F25ELHD model, to be exact. When I bought the motor fired fine, you could tell was extremely well taken care of, previous owner was an older gentleman who only used Yamaha parts, regularly serviced at a Yamaha dealer, the whole nine yards. Last service he had showed 200hrs on the motor. He used it for casual fishing. I bought it as a duck boat, obviously. Motor has ran great since I purchased it, no problems whatsoever. This morning I went hunting, 12* weather. When I hit the starter button, it turned a couple of times but wouldn't fire. So I pulled the string, just chalking it up to cold weather, and it tried to turn over a couple of times, then the rope was too taut to pull. Like stuck. Hit the starter again and it would try to start, wouldn't really turn but for a second then stop. Never fired. Yanked the string a couple of times and it worked itself loose, wouldn't even make a noise. Tried the starter, nothing but a click. Left it alone for about 10 minutes, with my hunting buddies having a good laugh, hit the starter button and it would spin but never fire. Held the starter button a little longer, finally fired. Drove to the hunting spot, hit the starter, absolutely nothing. Pulled string, fired right up. Boat sat 5 hours or so during hunting, went back, hit starter, absolutely nothing. Pulled string and it fired right up. But boat back on trailer, drive home, and just for giggle, I hit the starter button and it fired immediately and ran like a scalded dog. In other words, what the ****. New battery, fully charged. Need some help please!

robert graham

Admiral
If your battery is new and fully charged then you most likely have a poor/loose/corroded cable connection....remove each connection, inspect, wire brush or Scotchbrite pad until shiny, a dab of grease, tighten,.....move to next connection and same thing....