1999 Yamaha 150 V-6 two stroke

Twnturbo

Recruit
Just bought the boat, runs great and all gauges worked. Out on the water had to jump start the engine. Now the RPM and Voltage gauge do not work. Speedometer, fuel and trim gauges are working fine. What could be causing this?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Did they work correctly before?

If the jumper cables are even touched to the wrong posts on the battery it can fry the rectifier, that’s where the tachometer and voltage gauge get there info.

But if the rectifier failed first the battery wouldn’t charge and would eventually be dead, and need jumping.

Last edited:

Twnturbo

Recruit
Now that you mentioned it, my hummingbird was getting a low voltage alarm the day before the battery died.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Check all the wires and make sure the connections are very clean and tight. The rectifier can also be damaged by poor connections to the battery.

Last edited:

Twnturbo

Recruit
I bought two new batteries(1 dual purpose), the dead ones were 3 years old. I cleaned all terminal connectors and made sure they were tight. Still no rpm or voltage gauges.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
work you way back from the gauges to see where the voltage is being lost,
does it start now at least?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Test the voltage at the battery, when the motor is running it should be above 13.5 or so, topping out in the 14.2 V or so range at higher RPMs.

If it reads in the 12s the charging system isn't working correctly.

Twnturbo

Recruit
The does start and all gauges work except the rpm and volts. I put a multimeter on the batt when engine at idle speed and was only showing 12 volts.

Twnturbo

Recruit
Well, the new rectifier finally got here. Installed it and still no gauges. :-(