Relocating Batteries To Center Console 2006 Yamaha F60

johnson76244

Cadet
Hey guys I've been reading some forums on relocating boat batteries from the stern to under the center console, I have a 2004 G3 1756BVW with a 2006 Yamaha 60HP four stroke engine (6C5L1010801K) and the run from a generous measurement is 16' - 17' one way if I follow the way the wires are currently ran so this would be a round trip of 34'. I called Yamaha and asked if they could help out with what size wire I need to go with and they stated 22' or less round trip would be 2 AWG and 34' or less 1/0 AWG. They did not give me the amp draw for the engine starter and the battery rating is 380CCA and 502 MCA. Yamaha states that this engine is 60.8 Cubic Inch (996CC) and I know you can use that in the calculation for size wire as well but I want to be certain. I tried to call Yamaha back today but they are closed for the holidays.

My question is can I run the wire from the motor straight to the center console going underneath the deck, approximately 10' one way? I'm a little OCD so if I do run it under the deck I would put the wires in a flexible plastic conduit from Lowes or Home Depot as to keep the wires from touching water laying on the bottom of the boat or rubbing on something sharp if that should happen, currently that area stays dry unless its raining or waves break over the sides.

If I could get some advice on moving these batteries I'd certainly appreciate it greatly. Merry Christmas to everyone and thanks in advance.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I see no reason not to run it that way.
make sure the tube does not catch and hold water.

something to think about is that the farther forward from the back of boat there will be more pounding and batteries do not that

johnson76244

Cadet
Yes I've ready plenty of forums on the battery issues when moved from the stern and there are plenty of guys who haven't had issues. With the boat I have I think the extra weight under the console will help stop some of the proposing I can't get rid of, maybe not but i think it would be beneficial or G3 wouldn't have moved the batteries and gas tank forward of the center console in later models like mine. I'm going to make sure the tube is sealed at each end and flush with the deck. Thanks

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
the proposing can be controlled with a tail on motor.
My used 16' XPress aluminum SV came with one on it.
I took it off and had the same problem( had to put weight up in front to stop the proposing.

I believe some transom wedges are needed to change the angle the motor sits.
But I put the tail back on because I had it anyway

johnson76244

Cadet
Thanks 99yam40 I appreciate the info. After moving the batteries forward I'll see how it goes then may check into you suggestion, I did read up on those but they are pricey.