Carb leaking

2botes

Cadet
I recently rebuilt my 70ETLH powerhead & it currently has 8.5 hrs on it. This thing runs good, has power...all checks out. When I trailered it last it sat @ the lakehouse for a couple of weeks. Upon return, I cranked it up to let it run, adjust the carbs again, but noticed the #2 card was leaking fuel from the top plate. This carb was removed to check the plate itself, the internal plates & gaskets...all looked good then re-installed. When it was cranked up the following w/e, the leak was again present. I do not see where I went wrong on this rebuild.
Would anyone have a clue as to what is causing this leak?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
needle and seat is not closing off as it should.
problem with float or needle and seat
or trash in the needle and seat would be my guesses

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Might be helpful to post a picture or two. Were the carbs rebuilt with the Powerhead? Was the gasket where you mention the fuel leak replaced?

2botes

Cadet
Yes, the carbs were rebuilt @ the time of the PH rebuild. I did not replace the gaskets as I didn't see any physical defects, but do have some now to install was I return this w/e. I 'though' i was careful enough w/ the float adjustment per the manual specs during he carbs rebuild; didn't see evidence of trash ingress (used canned air once it was disassembled). Am wondering if once there is a load on this OB this will cease then return while under idle..??
This does smack of a float issue, I just don't see how; perhaps something I overlooked while putting the bowl back on...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Even a newly rebuilt carb, or a new carb for that matter, can get trash in it via the fuel line. It doesn't take much of anything to keep the needle from seating. JMHO

2botes

Cadet
OK Gents....flash forward to this time stamp.

The carb float was again replaced, adjusted per manual....all is good. Tinkered w/ the carb pilot screws, idle adjustment yada yada....you couldn't ask this this to run smoother..@ ANY RPM. HOWEVER.....the durn thinfg doesn't want to idle for me after RPM reduction...trolling is outta the question!
Filters have been changed out..the lowet idle ROM is ~ 1150..too high.>& the idel adjustment screw doesn't even touch its place on the linkage.

What am I missing?

Tks for any help.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
something is binding up if the throttle plate do not close as they should

2botes

Cadet
As in pulling another cinematic rift here...flashing forward to...now!
Have purge the tank, flushed w/ fresh gas & drained; flushed fuel lines. dropped carbs to remove bowl & check for debris around N&S...all clean (saw nothing)
Throttle plates 'appear' to seat as needed w/ linkage attached..HOWEVER..#2 card seems to open a bit when the inline linkage is attached. Problem?
Still idles @ <2k! #$*@&$%#!!!
Could it be timing? Maybe retard it a bit?

Baylinerchuck -carbs WERE rebuilt during PH. & gasket was replaced...yes.

Thx for reading & yr help...as always.

Happy boating.....(wanna be happy 2)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
A fast idle means there is air getting in somewhere. So look for any place that could be leaking air through the carb, or even outside the carb at the intake. Air leak equals high RPMs and lean mixture. JMHO

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
part of the link a sync it to make sure all throttle plates open and close exactly the same

2botes

Cadet
gm280...will check for additional air leaks..tks. Didn't think of that.

99yam40 - I can't see where throttle plates aren't in sync..individually; linkage not independently adjustable..of course..would be helpful if so. Carb throttle plates, individually, close as designed..no removal during rebuild. Only the slight difference when linkage attached..

Tks guys...will get back soon....

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
manual should have the procedure to loosen all adjusting and close all plates and the tighten them all back every time you put thecarbs back on.

the bolt holes are not that well machined to get it exactly back where it was before