Yamaha 40 HP C40TLRV OUTBOARD EMERGENCY ENRICHMENT LEVER

tcarpe1

Cadet
I AM HAVING TO START (first start of the day) YAMAHA 40HP OUTBOARD WITH THE EMERGENCY ENRICHMENT LEVER IN THE EMERGENCY POSITION. ONCE I DO THAT, IT SEEMS TO START FINE IN THE NORMAL POSITION. I WILL ALSO SAY THAT IT SEEMS NOT TO BE RUNNING PERFECT. I HAVE NOT HAD IT IN THE WATER, JUST ON THE MUFFS.

tcarpe1

Cadet
SORRY, I GUESS MY QUESTION IS "IS HAVING TO START WITH EMERGENCY ENRICHMENT LEVER IN EMERGENCY NORMAL"

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
No it is not normal, should start properly in the normal position. need to clean the carbs and enrichment system .

turn off the cap lock

tcarpe1

Cadet
Alright, I can probably handle the carb cleaning, but what is the enrichment system?

tcarpe1

Cadet
Alright guys, sorry it has been awhile, but I am still having the same problem. I took the EES off and found one of the nuts holding one of the check valve had came off. I was exciting hoping I found and fixed the problem. I put it back on, but still having same issue. So I decided to replace all gaskets and check valves and prime start assembly. The only thing I have not changed is the body where the check valves are. The only thing I see that I am not sure about is the "in" check valve. It does not seem to seal completely like the "out" check valve.

Could this be the issue? I am still having to start it with the red switch set to Emergency.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
check valves not doing their job means they are not working properly.

make sure all passages are clean.
do you leave the fast idle lever fully down when trying to start the motor?

tcarpe1

Cadet
I have the fast idle lever down. I made progress today. Was able to switch red lever to normal after starting and letting idle a few seconds. Took a few times, but I eventually was able to start in normal position after engine got warm. It has been setting up awhile. I did clean carbs. I only took out and cleaned two jets. Not sure how many there are per carb. Cleaned all the bowls and blew out all the holes. I did not take float off. The top part of the middle carb was bad dirty kinda like a dark caramel film all in it? I could not get it to idle without the fast idle lever up a little. The motor kinda coughs as I am letting it run? As for the EES, like I said the only part I did not change was the body that little metal check valves are on. The one thing I questioned about the EES body was that the nut that came loose does not have the hex shape mold for the nut like the other one does. I'm not sure if they should look the same. I had to back off the nut a little bit on the "in" check valve to get it closer to sealing. If I tighten the nut up all the way the check valve up about an 8th of an inch. Does anyone know if that nut needs to be tighten all the way, or should it be adjusted so that the check valve seals all the way down. I am starting to think that it should be adjusted. How else would it have came undone like I found when I took the EES apart? As for the coughing or puffing, any suggestions? Sea foam, rebuild fuel pump, new hoses and primer bulb, or did I miss something on carb clean? Maybe that check valve not being sealed all the way is causing it.

tcarpe1

Cadet
Let's say that check valve is the issue. What is it causing for me not to be able to start in normal position? When I pump the primer bulb, is it causing a flooding issue?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
this lets say business sounds familiar.

Lets say the motor is flooded by what you do, why would it help to move the red lever to the on position to add more fuel

tcarpe1

Cadet
Not sure. I am no fuel system expert by any means. I was shocked the motor even started after I cleaned the carbs.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
If a motor has too much fuel to get the cylinders to fire properly, it does not help any at all to add more fuel

tcarpe1

Cadet
True. So I guess my issue is not enough fuel since I'm having to flip lever to open which add more fuel directly to cylinder.

tcarpe1

Cadet
I changed the body part of the EES that the check valves are. It definitely needed replacing. Both check valves seal tightly as the should.

But, still having same issue starting. I have to flip the switch for first start of day, and it's not running that great.

Thinking of doing a better carb cleaning or rebuild unless anyone has a thought on another direction I may need look.

tcarpe1

Cadet
Finally got this problem fixed. It was a carb issue and a EES issue, but of course there is another issue. I will start new post.