Yamaha lower gearcase rubber seal/pad and rubber seal guide replacement instalation.

ozkor

Cadet
I have had over heat problems everything has been done from total clean of all water ways to new water pump etc - one mechanic suggested I replace the lower gearcase rubber pad and guide that sits in the join between the gearcase and the upper part of the leg. Its called the rubber seal guide part number 663-45376-00-00 and then the rubber seal part number is 688-45375-00-00. I have bought both these parts and I cant see for the life of me how they fit in. The guide is a piece of aluminium that just seems too big. Im starting to think that it could be made so that you have to cut it down to fit. Does any body have any knowledge on this. Im fitting it to a 1987 model Yamaha 115hp. the seal is meant to stop exhaust gasses getting into where the water pump is. Not sure what that would do anyway but apparently it can do something and could be a cause of over heat according to one guy I spoke to.
All comments welcome.
It this dosent work the only thing left it could be is a leaking head gasket / cracked head / block or pin-holing lucky me.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
it should not need to be cut to fit.
make sure you have the correct parts by looking it up yourself and compare the part numbers on packages.
Service manual and parts break diagram down should give you some idea of how it should go in

If you look up 663-45376-00-00 it shows for 4 stroke motors

Last edited: