1985 Yamaha 70 hp- yamaha gauges questions...

Buickmike

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all, I have a Yamaha 70 outboard, model # 70ETLK. There is a Yamaha branded- speedo, tach, trim and a 3 light oil gauge in my dash right now. That sure do look like they came as a package with the engine/boat as i can read the last few digits of the H.I.N and the last 2 are 85.
My question is, are these gauges a factory supplied thing with these motors?...I.E: does the motor have a speed sensor and trim sensor built in for these gauges?
(The boat is new to me, i have been doing some rest/clean up work on it and haven't had it in the water yet. I heard the motor run on muffs when i bought it though)

Thanks in advance:)

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
The speedo should have a connection (small hole) on the front of the lower unit, so it's not a "speed sensor", but it is there. The tilt and trim should have a sensor just above the tilt and trim system, on the left hand side (inside) of the transom clamp (or at least that is where I commonly see them). I'm no expert here, just throwing out what I THINK I know!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Yamaha branded gauges are options and not supplied as "standard" equipment. Gauges are very generic so if you have one (or more) that are not functioning, Faria/Teleflex make universal units in many different style. They may in fact, have made those Yamaha gauges as well. Speedometers are pitot driven so no sender is needed but an external pickup unit or the pitot built into the lower unit is all that's needed. Voltmeters do not need a sender nor do water pressure gauges. The fuel gauge requires a sender but it is located in the fuel tank and has nothing to do with the engine. Trim gauges need a sender and that unit is engine specific. Gauges with alarm or idiot lights in them require senders or sensors for whatever they monitor.

Buickmike

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks rjcamel and Silvertip. What i meant by standard equipment was, did they come with the motor when it was new?....i've seen some newer yamahas advertised with a digital gauge included....I just was wondering if the motor had the "sensor/sender" for these gauges. I just purchased the boat/motor and i haven't had it running yet to confirm tach function. The triple light oil gauge light up to full when the key is on tho:)

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Thanks rjcamel and Silvertip. What i meant by standard equipment was, did they come with the motor when it was new?....i've seen some newer yamahas advertised with a digital gauge included....I just was wondering if the motor had the "sensor/sender" for these gauges. I just purchased the boat/motor and i haven't had it running yet to confirm tach function. The triple light oil gauge light up to full when the key is on tho:)
In 1985 the yamaha motors came with factory gauges standard. The tach with the 3 lights is a yamaha specific gauge because of the oil lights. My dad bought his 1985 90 hp yamaha new and it came with factory supplied gauges. Tach,speedo and trim gauge and fuel gauge were included.