Ox66 200 low water pressure

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys,
I know these motors hold lower water pressure at idle. Prior to today I was getting 2-5psi at idle and 18-20psi at wot.

Today I am getting around the same at idle and around 10-13 at wot. The pissing stream is still strong and constantly there. There is water coming from the exhaust ports on the rear of the motor like it should.

No alarms, nothing like that. But I dont want to get to that point either.

Where should I begin?

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
Water pump is new as of last year. I'm under the assumption its the poppet having some sand or gunk around it after doing some researching.

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
Haven't got to set it in the water yet, but pulled the poppet out and cleaned it. Had a bunch of grime on it and a few small pebbles around where it seats. Stuck the hose to it and it carried 2-4psi water pressure, which it never did before. So I'm thinking its good to go

Poppet wasn't too bad to get too. Just a little hard to start the bolts back with a flash light in one hand lol.

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Dingbat, I'm pretty sure that was my issue, I had no overheating issues, or alarms, but I didn't want it to get to that point either. I'll be able to lake test it this weekend and see the results, no way it was closing/opening properly with the pebbles/gunk in the way. I did notice I had the old style poppet valve, not the mushroom type, but I'll address that the beginning of next season, it's getting a little cooler now and I don't believe I'll get much more water time.

I suppose I need to get a list of the yearly maintenance stuff that needs to be done though. I'm new to this engine, so I'm trying to get it all lined out.

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
Put it on the water Saturday. 2-4psi at idle. Jumped on a plane. 24-26psi the entire time wot. Time to start raising the jack plate.