Name of part in carb

lb_billy

Cadet
Hi guys,

What's the name of the part that is the rod that goes through the carb and spins with throttle? I've marked with red arrows.

I had to swap that on a different set of carbs. In doing so, the black screws (marked with orange arrows) peeled out the threads in the holes (screws are OK) when I removed them. They seem to be holding well, but I'd feel more comfortable replacing the part.

I can't seem to find the part. I've looked at the exploded parts views here: http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Outboard/1999/40ESRX/CARBURETOR/parts.html

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• photo254984.jpeg
    photo254984.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo254985.jpeg
    photo254985.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 0

lb_billy

Cadet
Thanks, Scott.

I need to check out closer, but maybe it was locktite that came out. The screws threaded back in OK. Should locktite be applied to those 2 screws?

Much appreciated...

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Well you don't want one of those screws vibrating loose and being consumed by the engine. It will get severe heartburn. Yes loctite them. Use care when reassembling, the throttle plate needs to be properly located in the bore or the engine will never idle right.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Those plate attacking screws are usually penned over some from the factory on the threaded side to keep them inplace. So yes I would apply some Loctite indeed. JMHO

lb_billy

Cadet
So while I was taking those screws out, it stripped out the threads. I can't seem to find the shaft to purchase a a replacement. I think my 2 options are to tap a larger hole and source new screws (won't be easy where I am), or rivet the butterfly valves on the shaft. Thoughts...?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You may have to buy a new carb, or a junk carb for the shaft. I wouldn't rivet the butterfly in place. Have you looked into helicoil? Not sure if they make them that small

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Those very small screws are usually in the 4-40 size (for SAE made carbs) and you could easily go to 6-32 size and make it work after re-tapping the holes. I've done that before and it works fine. If that shaft is brass, some of them are, you could even solder it in place. Both the shaft and throttle plate has to be really clean though and then apply solder flux and a little heat and let the solder wick in the joint. That will work as well but makes it really hard to ever get it out again. JMHO