99' Yamaha 90 hp Trim Rams not Moving in or out...

jsboo72

Seaman Apprentice
Anyone know why my trim rams are not going in or out? The tilt rod goes in and out like butter when i power it but the rams will not budge at the end of the up or down cycles. However, when i open the manual release valve the rams can be pushed in easily. there are no leaks coming from the unit anywhere. I have the unit on a workbench and have bled it entirely. I have taken the rams out (all three...trim and tilt) and all the o-rings/seals look perfect as well as the cylinder walls. I'm using Dexron tranny fluid, by the way.
Does anyone know what the culprit might possibly be? any ideas?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I do not know for sure, but sounds like not enough fluid.

Did you fill up the cylinders as you put them back together?

jsboo72

Seaman Apprentice
I haven't put it back together yet as i didn't know what i might need to replace. The unit was full and i bled the crap out of it after i replaced the motor originally. I removed the unit from the motor and have it on the bench to bleed better but those trim rams are not budging. If i put it back together, assuming everything is ok (looks great to me), Should i fill the reservoirs with fluid before putting the rams back in? What's the trick? I've rebuilt a few t/t units before but never had this much trouble 'bleeding the system", if that's the cause. Thanks in advance!