Yamaha 2004 115hp no power

banhtrang

Cadet
Hello,
I have a yamaha 2004 115. The battery is full, there is power in the fuse box, I check the connector to the key ignition switch and one of the pin has power , so there is power to the ignition switch. But the power gauge is not moving. What could be wrong?
I pay a guy advertise on craigslist supposedly had 25years of experience 350 dollars and drove one hour to his house. After few days He told me it's fix and let me hear the engine running on the phone. I picked up the boat and drop the money to his wife. Went home and it just like he did no thing. I asked him what he did and he said he ran some wire but I could not see any wire that are new the only thing he did were tie wrap the wires together.
Called him and he said may be the battery, so I changed the battery and nothing. Suspect the ignition key switch, I bought the new switch and still nothing.
I called the guy and he said bring the boat back he will fix no charge. I dont trust this guys and I want to try this forum to see if someone can guide me to some solution before sending to the shop. which I should have done in the first place. I dont want to leave my boat to this guy, He did not hook up the water to run my engine, he said for few minutes is ok...The guy is in Alvin texas...avoid at all cost...he can talk though!!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
what is this power gauge you mentioned?
what does this power gauge have to do with the motor being able to run?
Maybe a bad connection or blown fuse if 12 volt+ is not getting where it needs to be

Craigslist is a strange place to find a Yamaha tech to work on your motor

You need to drop the lower unit and inspect your water pump if he ran it dry(without water to lubricate it)

banhtrang

Cadet
the voltmeter is the one I am talking about. I checked again, and there's no power to it. ground is good

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
did you have a problem starting the motor before or after this guy worked on it?
Strange you said he let you listen to it running over the phone,
Makes me think it would not start.
not just not reading voltage on gauge

banhtrang

Cadet
I redo all the connection even the one that looks good...and that fixed it. have no idea which one... hope it stay that way