Finding #1cl tdc on 40 hp suzuki

phillipgo

Seaman Apprentice
Anyone know how to find the TDC #1 cl ? According to the manual you can't go by the marks.Reason being, I'm installing a new low pressure fuel pump.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
pull the spark plug
stick a wood dowl in the hole and turn the motor over until the piston reaches top dead center
marks should show TDC, not sure why they would not and I do not see what a fuel pump would have to do with TDC unless it might be a 4 stroke maybe

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
phillipgo, what model and year Suzuki to you have?

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
Google search results revealed these steps on another forum for a guy doing the exact same thing. Search terms 2005 Suzuki DF40 top dead center

Here is some text, but the other thread has pictures:

The service manual directs that "Before installing fuel pump, rotate the crankshaft to the number 1 (top cylinder) piston to Top Dead Center (TDC) on the compression stroke."... not exactly sure why but here the procedure I used.

Remove spark plugs... or else you cannot rotate the flywheel.

Exposing the flywheel is a simple matter of removing one screw (at the rear of the flywheel cover) and pulling up on the cover at both left and right sides to pull the two (left and right) rubber fasteners away from the motor.

With the cover removed, the "built-in" peep hole and indicator mark (that is part of the cover) is no longer able to be used, so I put a piece of masking tape near the front of the flywheel and marked it, to tell me when the No. 1 cylinder was nearing TDC. With some effort, (and with all four spark plugs removed) you can rotate the flywheel by hand... rotate it counterclockwise. While sneaking up on the "spot" and when I thought it was just about right, I temporarily placed the flywheel cover over the flywheel to verify with the "T" (stamped on the circumference of the flywheel to line up the flywheel) to insure the No. 1 cylinder was at TDC

Old-school method of verifying a particular cylinder is at TDC. Wooden dowel pushed into spark plug hole to rest against top of piston. As crankshaft is rotated, dowel will move in and out... when it's at it farthest "out" position, that cylinder is at TDC.

Hope this helps

phillipgo

Seaman Apprentice
Chief Petty Officer, could you possibly post the link? I googled,(2005 Suzuki DF40 top dead center) that same thing yesterday and today and did not see what you are describing.

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
Phillip, just call me mjf or Mark. I don't like to post links to other forums. Sent you a PM.

phillipgo

Seaman Apprentice
Mark, thanks for the link. It will be a great help. Right now the motors in the shop. I broke off 1 of the bolts trying to get to the water impeller. It is always something.

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
Sorry to hear that. Broken bolts are unfortunately common.
As Roseanne Roseannadanna said - "It's always something - if it ain't one thing it's another."