2 stroke yamaha 5 HP running weird

SAILNOOB

Cadet
i live aboard a sailboat in Miami FL for the last year or so. I use a 5 HP on a dinghy as a tender to shore for that whole time. It was unused when I bought it, but a 1998. (5CMHS Yamaha 2 Stroke 5hp Short Shaft)
It has been drowned and successfully pickled on a few occasions. Most recently I woke up after a stormy night to find the dinghy flipped on back of my boat, and the outboard upside down on it underwater!!! I rushed it to shore and began to pickle it and disassemble to flush cylinder and clean carb. I completely disassembled the carbeuratur. All that done, I finally got it started but only on a very high throttle and had trouble starting for the first few days. It also had very weak output, and did not have enough torque to pull other dinghies and stuff I normally do, stalling if I would try. I found it ran better at low RPMs. On one occasion it would start only for long enough for me to get it in neutral and go a few feet before stalling and having to start it again. NOW the most current running issue is I will start it, it will run ok for a minute or two, and then start to bog down and stall. At that point, if I put the choke on it starts to spring to life again, but quickly goes back down to low RPMS no matter the throttle and requires me to take the choke off for a split second, and the motor kicks back on again and then starts to stall again and I put the choke back on and the cycle continues. So now I drive the motor with a hand on the choke playing with it like this or I don't go anywhere. I have the day off from work today so I was hoping to take care of it today if I am able to figure out what is wrong. My best guess is I did something wrong in carb reassembly, but an actual diagnosis of the running problem would be helpful.
Thanks for all advice. Dan

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
At least one issue is the carb still has gunk in it, or it's not assembled correctly. time for a complete and thorough cleaning.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
if pulling the choke helps then there is fuel in carb,
just has something restricting the flow inside the jets or passages

SAILNOOB

Cadet
update. disassembled and cleaned carb today, found that the air intake screw was not on the carb at all, had fallen off due to vibration or something and put it back in. Motor was hard to start, but finally sputtered to life, and ran without quitting for at least a half hour. Only tried WOT at the very end, and this made it bog down and stall. But if started right back up from starting throttle.

one thing i noticed inside the carb is the diaprahgm is of a very strange design. Strange because I don't see the purpose I guess. IT has a very strong spring with no give that hold the diaphragm into a certain bowl shape. nothing internally could alter the compression of the spring, and I am guessing it is just to hold form??? was putting so much pressure at the diaphragm that it started to tear a bit at the edge, willl order a new one. Cant understand the need for the spring inside though. Anyone know?

SAILNOOB

Cadet
update. disassembled and cleaned carb today, found that the air intake screw was not on the carb at all, had fallen off due to vibration or something and put it back in. Motor was hard to start, but finally sputtered to life, and ran without quitting for at least a half hour. Only tried WOT at the very end, and this made it bog down and stall. But if started right back up from starting throttle.

one thing i noticed inside the carb is the diaprahgm is of a very strange design. Strange because I don't see the purpose I guess. IT has a very strong spring with no give that hold the diaphragm into a certain bowl shape. nothing internally could alter the compression of the spring, and I am guessing it is just to hold form??? was putting so much pressure at the diaphragm that it started to tear a bit at the edge, willl order a new one. Cant understand the need for the spring inside though. Anyone know?

and then later today same problem once again...though it was running well earlier it is back to stalling and needing choke played with to keep running , spent my day off on this and it is disappointing not to have more input or results...so i'll up the ante. the one who gives me the solution i'll send 25 dollars any way you want it

SAILNOOB

Cadet
update, fuel is spilling out of the carburetor choke area when fuel is on and especially when motor is up unless fuel turned off. Difficult to start after that, proving excess fuel in cylinders. Also, when trying to start I can see air and vapor shoot out of leaks in diaphragm and related gaskets in small quantities. Motor was very difficult to start, ran OK in idle for a while and stalled again constantly as before.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Something isn't right in the carb, float upside down, needle not seating, gunk, etc.