Yamaha F150TXR- Tilt and starter problem

shout

Seaman Apprentice
Looking for some help with this strange problem. I am having an intermittent electrical issue, symptoms, when it occurs, are
- engine won't crank
- very dim "dummy" lights on the instrument cluster
- tilt/trim doesn't work, on either the throttle nor the engine mounted switch
- when attempting to use trim/tilt or turning the ignition switch on, the fuel gauge moves well past the full mark,not the normal behavior

I can reliably work around the issue by causing a short between the positive connection on the starter and the ground wire on the engine. (Discovered this accidentally, understand this is not good practice).

I've replaced the starter, the starter relay and the trim/tilt relay, with no improvement. The workaround leads me to believe it's a relay issue, but I've replaced the relevant relays.

Interested in any thoughts and ideas, hate to have fall fishing pass by without a working boat!

Thanks,
-- shout

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
bad connection on battery cables or battery cable itself is corroded up internally.
shorting causes a heavy current arcing across the bad connection for a little while
some times it could be a bad connection inside the battery
have the battery tested , clean all connections, and do a voltage drop test measuring voltage drop while loaded up to see where the bad connection is

shout

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the help with this, almost certain this was the problem.

Cable and connection looked good, everything clean and no visible corrosion, but... The negative connection to the engine block was slightly loose and severely corroded, probably because it was not tightened sufficiently.

Cleaned the connections and all is working now, went fishing yesterday and started the boat at least 15 times with no issues.

Thanks
--shout