First time winterization

ccarver80

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 2004 Yamaha 4 Stoke 75hp outboard. Below is the sticker on the engine.

Would any normal 10-30w from a automotive store work?? Anything "marine grade" around me is non existent.. if I need special oil I'll have to order online

Also I've heard people say you don't need to put Rv antifreeze in the livewell or bilge pump?? Would it be to safe to do so anyways.... I live in North Dakota... Can get pretty cold and I'd hate to have a cracked hose come spring?

Thanks .... Also one more question... Since I already fogged the cylinders ... Can I change the oil cold and just let it drain real good??? Or should I just refire it to warm up the oil and refog the cylinders??

Attachments

• photo253675.jpg
    photo253675.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 0

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Automotive oil is fine, And yes you can change it cold. The only reason it's changed when warm is to make sure any contaminants are suspended in the oil to remove them, and for easier draining.
​As far as the live well it certainly wont hurt to run some rv through it, the anti freeze is cheap insurance vs, a new pump or hoses come spring time. The bilge pump is self draining so it don't need any af. Just be sure the bilge is mostly dry and put it away.