1988 DT65 warning horn.

James R

Commander
Running in the tub. Motor not overheating. Horn comes on normally before cranking but stays on after start up. The water in the tub does not look very oily so I am suspecting oil flow. With a Johnson we can just disconnect the various sensors and check that way but the Suzuki is a different animal. Any thoughts on testing the system would be appreciated. The oil tank is 2/3 full. I know of all the various switches but not the way they work, normally closed normally open etc.
Thanks.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
It's been a while since I have seen one of those so bear with me. I do not believe there is a flow sensor on them they are similar to the yamaha system. Should be overheat and and low oil warnings only. I would check the sensor in the tank it is a simple on/off switch. To check flow on them take the line off of 1 carb (run 50-1 premix while doing this) and manually move the lever on the pump. You may need to disconnect the throttle lever from the pump to do this and you should see increased flow. I doubt it's an oil flow problem because they and yamaha had the best oil injection systems out there. Hope this helps like I said it's been a while.

James R

Commander
Thanks flyingscott. I agree about the best oiling system. This one does have a flow switch. The flow check is a good one. Pain to get at but if it is a blockage it might clear if I crank the flow up on the pump. No knowing what has been put in the tank. You have me thinking in the right direction. Of course 50:1. Any more ideas welcome. Thought about just going 50:1 and leaving the tank and pump in place but I dont know how to disable that leg of the warning system. Of course if the pump is not getting oil it could seize.
Thanks again.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
service manual and testing would be the best way to figure this out

Hope some one with knowledge of your old motor chimes in, but may take a while

James R

Commander
Thanks guys. I do have a manual and tests various indicate that the output on the "low oil warning reset" unit is leaking. The sound level is low whilst the motor is running and switches to very loud when the temp sensor is shorted to ground for example. Pulling the connector which feeds the output to the horn turns the horn off so we know it can only the output part of the chip. Hopefully it will not cause the motor to run in slow. Will test and find out. Will add some oil to the fuel just in case.
Thanks for your input.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
hope you find the problem.
I had an old 35 evinruid that the wiring harrness on the motor started going to ground threw the rubber connectors in the wiring harness.
I just rewired everything one wire at a time.
Just could not pull the plug(connector) to disconnect the on motor wiring