1988 DT65 timing question.

James R

Commander
Can anyone tell me what roll the TPS has in the advance/retard. Disconnected the TPS to get a good idle. Would this cause the motor not to come up under load. Carbs are clean, good comps good sparks new plugs etc. Fuel pump appears to be working, will pump from a jug on the ground.
Thanks.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I do not know anything about a DT65
But the TPS should tell the ECU what the throttle is doing so it can adjust things
If you unplug it ,I would think it would lock the timing and maybe other things into some kind of default setting and not allow it to run properly at all RPM

You can monitor the timing with a timing light.

not sure if suzukis use a computer to hook up and look at info like Yamahas
A carbed motor probably does not have a lot of stuff going on like a injected motor

Last edited:

James R

Commander
Reconnected the TPS and wrestled with the worn throttle mechanism. throttle stop and cable to get a consistent idle position. Readjusted the carb idle jets and after much ado got a good idle. Needs a lake test to prove the motor performance. Will advise.

James R

Commander
Thanks flyingscott. The guy now tells me he fitted the wrong control cable. Now he tells me! Any way I got it as good as its going to get.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
nope, it will be better when you put the correct cable/parts and adjust properly

James R

Commander
I put all the info in my customary service report and the owner took the motor. Been a couple of weeks now and no bad report.
Closing the book on this one. Thanks for all the help.