2006 90hp yamaha started running rough after 1/4 mile from dock.

cvtech1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Took my 2006 palm beach 90hp Yamaha out after being in shop for over a month for lower unit replacement. It ran fine at home before going out and after leaving the dock for about 1/4 mile then just puttered out. I tried to start it several times and it just wouldn't stay running. I took the cowling off and adjusted the emergency enrichment lever and it seemed to help some but the boat still wouldn't idle much. I could start the boat in neutral and idle it up for a while but it would not take off like it should. I eventually would rev it up and ease back to forward and it would catch and run fine until I stopped again. I could coast it into gear and take off all day and the rpms would go to 4000 and run fine but never would idle. What could be the problem? BTW I had the fuel system cleaned and carbs rebuilt at this shop 4-6 months earlier and it was only the fuel bulb and line that was the problem. They gave me credit for their problem but its not been the same since. Any help would be appreciated.

hsdtech

Seaman
It does sound like a fuel issue. Either a leak in the line or the carbs need cleaning again.

robert graham

Admiral
Is a fuel/water seperater type fuel filter installed on transom?....if not, you may want to consider adding one....then have carbs cleaned again. Also, check your fuel tank vent screw to be sure it's open.