1999 C75TLRX trim & tilt switch

weeemily

Recruit
Really hope that some wise boat owners can advise an inexperienced, non-mechanically (or electrically) minded fisher. The trim switch on my Yamaha 75 outboard is working fine when raising the motor but works only inconsistently when dropping the motor. The hydraulics and lift motor themselves seem to be fine. My questions are these... 1] is there available a replacement solenoid/switch assembly and 2] is this a repair/replacement I could do myself?

weeemily

Recruit
Hi
​Many thanks for your interest. Yes it does indeed click and after several attempts, it will finally engage and drop, but increasingly more inconsistently.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
if the relay is clicking that means the switch is functioning.
either the relay is not making good contact inside to power the T&T motor or brushes in motor are not making good contact,
my bet would be T&T relay contacts
troubleshooting to find the problem would be best as parts are expensive so no one likes to put on parts that are not needed.
follow the T&T motor leads back to the relay. if you see it and think you can replace it yourself go for it

robert graham

Admiral
Double check your battery and cables and connections....a weak battery or loose/corroded connections can play tricks with your tilt/trim.....My motor is a 1999 C90 and just replaced an 18 month old battery because it had a weak cell and was messing with my tilt/trim....just about like yours...

weeemily

Recruit
Many thanks gentlemen. I think I'll first try replacing the battery as its pretty old anyway. Then I'll check the connections. If still no joy, it'll be a call out to my local expert.

robert graham

Admiral
Tilt/Trim on my 1999 C90 was acting sorta iffy and weak just a few weeks ago....replacement of 18 month old battery with a weak cell fixed it....Weak batteries can really wake up some gremlins in outboard motors....

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
Robert, great news and thanks for the follow-up. It is good that members post the fix for future reference.