2009 Yamaha F60 4 Stroke Startup Issues

bbakernbay

Seaman Apprentice
The last two cold starts the engine fired up on first turn of the key but immediately went into higher rpm mode, so much so that it gives a unfriendly noise when shifted into gear due to high idle speed.

The first trip started out okay but then tach RPMs started jumping around and eventually the engine slowed down and we managed to limp into Marina.

This morning with another cold start, same thing with idle RPMs high immediately after I started engine on first turn of the key. This time I turned off key and immediately restarted the engine and everything was back to normal, purring quietly at idle, no issues at any speed including full throttle.

What is the likely cause of this issue.

Engine has very low hours on it.

Gas is fresh with Stabil, Yamalube Ring Free and STP Fuel Injector Cleaner.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
ECU is not seeing a sensor in spec would be my guess.
need to have it hooked up to a computer to see what is going on

bbakernbay

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you 99yam40. My ebay purchase of the Yamaha Diagnostic System arrived yesterday and I loaded the software on my laptop and I hope to download the ECM diagnostics in the next day or two, weather permitting.

I also received my ebay purchase of the CD with the Yamaha 296 page Repair Manual which is excellent.

Yesterday the same thing happened again, started on first turn of key but almost immediately started to rev much higher than normal idle so I turned off key and restarted immediately and everything ran fine.

It will be interesting to see the Fault Codes.

bbakernbay

Seaman Apprentice
I successfully loaded the YDS software on my laptop, reset the Port to COM1 as directed and took the laptop and cables down to the boat, removed the engine cover and found the 3 pin connector port right on the front of the engine.

The port has a plastic mating cover protecting it and it was secured by black electrical tape. The cover can be unsnapped and is retained by monafilament line.

The software is very impressive, reading previous diagnostic faults as well as allowing running tests including live graphs.

My engine had 74 hours total running and you get number of hours running in various rpm ranges. Most of the 74 hours were under 4,000 RPMs as I suspected for a pontoon boat. No hours over 6,000 RPMs.

Diagnostics running today we're all normal even though on one start the idle RPMs jumped up right after starting it.

The history showed at 54 hours all the Sensors came on and were recorded.

The Marina Operator told me the previous owner mistakenly reversed the battery leads when attempting to boost the battery a year or two ago so that may have generated a Fault Code for all the Sensors but who knows.

I feel somewhat better knowing there is no current Faults showing and all are Normal. I saved all the diagnostic results with a button on the YDS.

It seems I can deal with the issue of the occasional cold start giving high RPMs by turning engine off and immediately restarting and every time so far engine runs normally thereafter.

I have not had a problem with trouble restarting a hot engine but try to avoid that situation by leaving engine idle when picking up passengers at Marina, etc.

I also bought a CD on eBay for $15 which is a 296 page Yamaha Technical Manual covering my F60 which is very useful.

Anyway I spent less than $100 for both items and consider them excellent value.

I saved probably $500 renting a truck, pontoon trailer and shop time to tell me that everything shows normal.

Hopefully the clean fuel,Stabil, Yamalube Ring Free and STP Injector Cleaner will help the engine run properly in the future.

Still need to add an external Water Separator.

Any opinions or questions are welcome.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
might look at all the info and compare when it starts and idles at higher RPMs and when idling properly.
Something has to be different

print out and compare all you can

bbakernbay

Seaman Apprentice
Well it seems I have finally solved one of the issues on startup where the engine revs higher.

I happened to see a Suzuki dealer at our Marina yesterday and asked him why the engine sometimes revs a little higher than normal after cold startup.

He said it wasn't uncommon with 4 stroke EFIs and that leave it run and it should return to normal idle rpm fairly quickly.

I had 2 cold starts today and both times it went into higher rpms than normal idle but it corrected itself within 10 seconds or so.

I am still having the most serious problem when I have a 10 minute trip from cottage to Marina then turn the engine off to load passengers or groceries, etc. and when I try to start the engine 5 or 10 minutes later it is very, very difficult to get it to fire. Come back in 30 minutes and no problem starting.

What is the likely problem/fix?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
why were you talking to a Suzuki guy when you have a Yamaha according to your title?

bbakernbay

Seaman Apprentice
He was there picking up my neighbour's Argo 8x8 for starter repair work and he sells a lot of Suzuki outboard engines in our area and I was trying to tap his extensive outboard repair experience and he offered his opinion after I questioned him.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
OK ,
you confused me

Yes, some 4 stroke injected motors have IAC valves that open all the way at shut down to allow enough air into the motor at next start up.
takes a little bit for the IAC to close back down to where it should be once started up.
I did not think yours was idling back down from what you originally wrote

bbakernbay

Seaman Apprentice
OK ,
you confused me

Yes, some 4 stroke injected motors have IAC valves that open all the way at shut down to allow enough air into the motor at next start up.
takes a little bit for the IAC to close back down to where it should be once started up.
I did not think yours was idling back down from what you originally wrote

Thank you, great to know the reason why it is doing that.

Hopefully, someone can offer a suggestion as to why it is so difficult to start after running for only 10 minutes.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I have not had a problem with trouble restarting a hot engine but try to avoid that situation by leaving engine idle when picking up passengers at Marina, etc.

might need to explain what problem you are having.

never mind I just saw the other post.
check to see if that motor have a fuel cooler.
seems if the cooler plugs up the hot fuel vaporizes and fumes end up in intake causing too rich of a mixture at hot start

bbakernbay

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

might need to explain what problem you are having.

never mind I just saw the other post.
check to see if that motor have a fuel cooler.
seems if the cooler plugs up the hot fuel vaporizes and fumes end up in intake causing too rich of a mixture at hot start

Yes, the manual shows a Fuel Cooler for this Yamaha F60 as indicated on attached photo.

I will do more research on what needs to be done, possibly a blast of air or water in both directions may clear any obstruction.

Thanks for your continuing interest and advice.

Attachments

• photo254003.PNG
    photo254003.PNG
    765.4 KB · Views: 0

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
seems like I remember someone posted on a different forum about a F60 that the tell tail showed water flow, but the flow was not going threw the cooler. I think his problem was the fitting where it went to the bottom of the motor was plugged