86 200 no spark on all right side coils! HELP!!

Bam7722

Cadet
I have a 1986 yahama 200 ETLJ.

So today started like any other boating day. Boat ran great until I backed off for a no wake zone, hit the throttle and I thought my lower unit was seizing. Turns out I dropped spark on all 3 cylinders on the right side of the motor looking at the plugs and coils. I reversed all the wires from the left side, and got spark out of the coils on he right, so it is not them. Blue wire harness that has 4 wires coming out of it, that goes into the CDI block all seem to have good signal coming from them. They blink pretty bright with my test light. I was told that these 4 wires are from the Stator. I'm at a loss here... there is a control box on the bottom of the CDI, does this control signal to the coils? I'm at a loss here. Help!

Bam7722

Cadet
So testing the Strator, the ohms on the blue to black/red ohms at 23.6 and it should be about 150... I don't have an issue with Charging, does this also control ignition?

The control box ohmed way out of spec as well. Does this also control ignition?

Last edited:

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
Bam, a couple of things,
  • You said you reversed the wires from the left ( port) side to the right (starboard) side an dhow you had spark. What did you swap?
  • In this link http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...35#post5432335 , 99yam40 said the inputs to the CDI are the pulser coil and the charge coil
  • Do you have a yamaha factory service manual for this motor? You should.
Make these measurements and report back. maybe 99yam40 can join ( or another yamama knowledgeable person can join )

EDIT check this link, as it shows the values you can expect for your specific engine.
https://issuu.com/cdielectronics/do...3_issuu?viewMode=doublePage&e=2044661/2110969

Last edited:

Bam7722

Cadet
MJF55 thanks for your response!!
I removed the signal wires (black/white stripe) from the left coils and plugged them into the right side coils and had spark and the normally dead 3 coils.

* I did read that post just now, thank you.
* I do, but it's very vague and I am not proficient in testing. I have no idea what to set my meter to in the ohm, DVA sections of it. I borrowed a friends meter and its "automatic" what ever that means. He then came by and we tested some values. However my manual said to test the wires while disconnected from the CDI. Here is what I found below in the photo. The top numbers are what I found in my Manual for values. Below are the values I actually got. The check marks mean that my friend said that they were what they were supposed to be.

Last edited:

Bam7722

Cadet
No Title

Control unit wires, unplugged from CDI unit. Does the control unit test spark?? Did I do this right?

Attachments

• photo251883.jpeg
    photo251883.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 0

Bam7722

Cadet
This leads me to believe the control unit has failed?

Pulsar coil test I found on line should ohm between 280 and 430- book said the same but said to do it disconnected from CDI unit.

Pulsar coil test not running, wires removed from CDI.

white/red and white/green was 354
White/black and white/blue was 361
White/yellow and white/brown was 347
Pulsar coil was with in spec, not a failed part if I am right, again not running and wires unscrewed from the CDI.

The stator test, I found what I believe to be correct numbers..I ohmed from the brown wire to the red wire and got 1000 ohms, I found on line that it should be between 840 and 1260 ohms. This I believe is okay.

Next 2 wires blue to black/red I got 23.9 and the book said should be between 100 and 150 ohms... I believe this is a failed part. The chart from CDI says different I guess I got to do these tests while running...?