Motor loweres by itself very slowly after being tilted up with power trim.

coachkwj

Cadet
I have a 2001 70HP Yamaha that I have not had a single issue with. Until now. The motor seems to drop down slowly on it's own after trimming it up to fish shallow water etc. I checked the system and there are absolutely no signs of leakage. I filled the reservoir and ran it up and down several times and topped it off and it seems to have gotten better but still does not stay up. I did this while it was on the boatlift and not on the trailer with the tongue down but I don't think that would have let me put that much more fluid in it but I could be wrong. Before replacing all the seals etc any suggestions? Motor sounds a little different that it always has at times. Could it be the motor?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like you have some leakage but not leaking externally. It seems like it is leaking pass the internal seals or "O"rings. Kind of like a leaking master cylinder on a vehicle. So it may be time to do a rebuild with new seals, "O" rings and gaskets and even check valves if it has them. Just my uneducated guess though.

robert graham

Admiral
My 1999 C90 Yamaha has very slowly leaked down for years...especially overnight. I don't much worry about it. If I want the motor to stay up then I set the tilt lock.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
if you were able to add fluid there is an external leak some where

fazerpaul

Cadet
First try tightening the manual trim/tilt release valve on the starboard side of the bracket!

dpmsgeek

Seaman Apprentice
I had a similar issue where I would take the motor off the transom saver and the hydraulics would lower on their own. I pumped all of the oil out of the reservoir filled it back up. With he motor on the trailer lock, I disconnected my lines and ran the pump up and down to flush old fluid out of the lines. I wound up having a little water and some sludge come out. It only takes a small amount of water to mess things up. Before reconnecting the lines and topping off the reservoir, I manually lifted and lowered the motor the get the last bit out of the rams. After connecting everything backup I no longer had the issues with the motor working itself back down.

coachkwj

Cadet
Its not the valve. Was tight and when loosened motor dropped down pretty quick. Tightened it back up. Still no signs of a leak. Im totally baffled. Dont want to start replacing seals etc if it might be something else. Might try completely draining and re-filling. This has me nuts. Not really a major issue but cruising along in shallow ater and then all of the sudden not moving is annoying.

James R

Commander
Follow what dpmsgeek suggested. Just a little contamination can prevent an internal valve sealing. Can also prevent the manual release valve from sealing.

coachkwj

Cadet
Sounds like an easy enough fix if it works. have the fluid and the time. I will give it a shot.
Thanks to all.