9.9 1992 yamaha elhp lower unit repair

gasman III

Recruit
Am trying to remove the seal housing locate directly below the water pump. After pulling up about 3/16 inch all movement stops. I suspect the brass bushing on the drive shaft is keeping it from further movement but don't know how to get this bushing to move. it must be a press fit on the shaft. This is where the two seals ride and most likely is an upthrust bearing for the drive shaft. Do I have to get into the lower output gear box and remove the drive shaft nut so I can pull the drive shaft to get the bearing off?

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
gasman III, Welcome to iBoats. I have an 89 175, and my setup is different from yours. For a 9.9 ( and btw, the model number elhp, the p indicates 1991 ) I have read:
  1. That you must remove the bearing/seal housing ( like you are trying to do ) to replace the seals.
  2. That you must remove the drive shaft to remove the bearing/seal housing
  3. The parts diagram show a nut ( or maybe a circlip ) on the bottom of the drive shaft that need to be removed
  4. You can only get to that nut by removing the prop shaft bearing / seal carrier
If you do a google search "1991 yamaha 9.9 drive shaft seal removal" don't use the quotes, you can see some of the folks trying to do this.
It does NOT look easy.

Good luck. Hopefully, someone with personal experience will respond.

gasman III

Recruit
Okay, thanks for the input. I was afraid I was going to have to get into the lower end. Gasman III

gasman III

Recruit
Now need advice on remove the output seal housing on this lower unit so I can get to the drive shaft.. I have made a puller put am nervous about putting too much pressure on the housing. Have not tried heat yet.
, Gasman, ​Thanks in advance.