Excessive Service work

rfitzge718

Recruit
I recently had a fuel pump replaced in my 2006 Yamaha 150HP 4 stroke. Does it seem reasonable that it would take 10 hours of labor to complete this task? I feel I am being taken advantage of. The actual work is described herein: Removed intake, intake plenum, throttle bodies, and VST fuel pump. Removed pump from VST. Cleaned VST. Installed new fuel pump in VST. Reinstalled throttle bodies, VST pump, intake plenum, and intake. Primed fuel bulb, turned key, and engine started. Let engine ran for 45 minutes. thanks in advance for your reply

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I would be calling other shops to see what they would quote to replace the pump to compare.
If a dealership tech there should be book hours that normally charge for every job unless there is broken bolts or other off the wall problems

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
A month ago I had almost the exact same work done on my Suzuki 140 hp 4 stroke. Was charged 3 1/2 hours of labor. I wonder if they charged you labor for the 45 minutes of the motor running, coffee breaks, 2 hour lunch, etc?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
On the way home from ATL had a Dodge dealer quote me a $600+ part plus labor, getting done locally for under $300 all in.

Check around

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Looking around now is a little late. OP already had the work done.:blue:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
he is looking for the normal hours it takes to do the work he was charged for.
Since no one that knows how long it should take has answered his post,
he should ask other Yamaha dealers in the area what they would quote for the job.

with that info in writing he can decide what to do with that info
confront the ones that charged him 10 hrs if it is way over or just not take it to them ever again if he was not happy with the service and charges