1986 4hp 2 stroke broken drive shaft

Auminer

Seaman Apprentice
It broke on the lower unit end. I am going to replace it, but need to know what I need to know.

Attachments

• photo251417.jpg
    photo251417.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 0

Auminer

Seaman Apprentice
Well, doing more research I've found out the drive shaft isn't "broken" as it turns the dog and prop. But it must have a keeper of sorts on the damaged end (shown) that I don't understand because it easily comes out of the lower end when it is removed. Would this cause problems if I run it that way? What are my options? What is the fix?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Have you seen a break down of your engine. That could give you some idea how it goes together. Try searching for such a break down diagram and see how it goes together before buying anything else. Looks like the pinon gear slides on and maybe a "C" type clip holds it there. But honestly that is just an uneducated guess on my part. But don't try running it 'til you verify everything for certain. Because if there is another part that holds the pinon gear in place, it is now in the foot. :noidea:

Auminer

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks gm280. I found a diagram for it and it does have a "C" clip that goes onto the end of the shaft to hold it in place. Good "uneducated guess"!