1991 115hp Yamaha stalls in neutral

RickyV

Cadet
I recently purchased a 91 Sylvan with a 115hp Yamaha V4. The boat and motor are super clean. I've had it out three times so far. The first time out, started fine, ran great but when I stopped, the motor died. Eventually it started and seemed to run fine. Second time out, boat ran fine and only stalled once or twice. Put 10 gallons of new gas in it yesterday, started fine, ran great at higher rpm but stalled almost every time I stopped. Still ran good at higher speeds. Today ran it in the driveway and runs real rough, sputtering then stalls. Checked plugs, seem ok but ordered new ones. Put can of Sea Foam in but have not run it in water yet. Previous owner said it had gas from last year. Do you think it is a gas issue? Why does it run fine at high speed but stalls in neutral?

RickyV

Cadet
Yeah my buddy said that too. I tried running it from a gas can of fresh gas to see if it might have been a bad gas issue but pretty much the same outcome. I'm hoping the Sea Foam takes care of it outside of taking the carbs off.