99 ox66 200 runs, shuts down, then won't start

Hi everyone, I have a pair of 99 ox66 200 saltwater series engines and my port has a serious problem. The other day I took it off shore and started having trouble getting the boat on plane the starboard motor was running like a top however port was surging terribly. Once on plane, it would not run at wot. It would start having trouble around 3800 rpm. I had the same problem not long ago and lp fuel pumps fixed the problem. I replaced lp fuel pumps and went out again yesterday ran fine for 20 minutes at all throttle ranges. Started to sit at idle for about 5 minutes and it shut off. Attempting to start it back up it would fire once and a while and run for a sec then shut off. If you let it sit for a hour or so it will fire back up again and then do the same thing again. The yellow oil icon on Guage arrow is pointing to it when engine is running. Pretty sure it's an electrical issue. I ruled out the oil sensors in both tanks, hp fuel pump,primer bulb, by swapping with other motor. Fuel Guage is giving a constant 35 lbs on the fuel rail. Checked fuses, and the 2 strip fuses in electronics box, vst ( before swapping with other motor) spark on plugs, new batteries, cleaned all connections on batteries, and the two bolts on top of the heads, and in the big relay block on stbd side of motor, fuel is good new racor, the fuel pump comes on and the motor runs however when it shuts off, the fuel pump will only click. Any info on this problem would be greatly appreciated. Please help.......I'm stumped

I don't believe this is an oil issue the arrow was pointing at the yellow block for quite a while I monitored oil levels and plugs. All looking good and burning oil evenly with other motor

gap1949

Cadet
Fuel pump will only click is the indicator for me that the fuel pump needs changed.

Yes still 35 lbs when problem occurs. I know it's not the hp fuel pump. I have swapped the entire vst tank pump and all with my starboard motor and the port still shuts off and won't restart. Starboard still runs like a top with everything swapped over so that rules out the hp fuel pump.

And I'm not using a tattle tale Guage so if the fuel pressure were to drop my Guage would also drop accordingly

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
If rail is holding pressure then either the injectors are not opening to let fuel in or it is not sparking the plugs is my thoughts

Just though of screens/filters in injectors being plugged , but that would not fix itself after time

i would fix the yellow oil indication to start with to see if that make it better

Last edited: