trim/tilt not working suzuki dt140

jmitchunc23

Recruit
I have a 1987 Suzuki dt140. recently the trim stopped going up and down. when you press the up and down switch you hear the motor running but no movement. I checked the fluid and it was very low. I backed off the manual release to lower the motor but ended removing the screw completely and noticed one of the orings was shredded. I replaced the oring and filled with atf fluid. still no movement just hear the motor running. any help would be great.

jack daniels marine

Seaman Apprentice
two suggestions:

there is air around the fluid pump so that it is cavitating. A 140 is a bit heavy however try lifting the motor up and down a bit manually, otherwise a short run on the water may work the air pocket out from the pump itself so that it starts to function. If it does start to function lift and raise several times while watching and topping up the fluid level to completely bleed out any air. Best done on a trailer. Take out a fluid sample and check for signs of water ingress also, if you get it working again.

2. the pump no longer functions due to being run dry. Remove and refurbish. I guess you filled with a suitable PTT fluid, nothing too out of spec.

Last edited: