Delaming outboard fuel line

iamsaws

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What are peoples thoughts on this?

I have a fuel injected 70 HP suzuki outboard. I have had an issue with it shutting down in 5000 + rpms. I finally took it off the boat and when I did I decided to cut the entire fuel line apart. When I did that I found a 2 foot section in the external fuel line near the primer bulb had completey cam detached and was floating loose inside the gray line fuel line. Would this be enough of an issue, so when the motor was really demeaning fuel would cut off the fuel supply? I found no real consistency to when it would shut off, only seems to do it when quickly accelerating or running at 5000+ rams for a period of time. I had tried a number of other fixes and never really found any clear indicators besides this issue. Little dumb on my part that I didn't try exchanging the fuel line, but it was fairly new and I don't run ethanol gas. Motor always started and idled and revved perfectly in driveway. Only does it under heavy load and high RPMS. So I am hopeful That a new external fuel line will solve this issue. Anyone have anything similar happen?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
yes, that is an issue (and more common than you would think). get yourself a new fuel line.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
These new fuel lines with the ethanol-resistant lining are a pain. :blue:

I replaced my line with a brand new hose and bulb. The motor ran terribly and after going though carbs and fuel pump, finally checked for fuel flow through the hose. Turns out when I inserted the barb, a flap of liner was folded and all but closed off flow through the barb. Trimmed the hose back and couldn't stop the liner from wrinkling and choking the flow. I chucked the hose and used some 2 stroke oil to lube the barbs on another new hose.

That hose wasn't a cheap fix!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Let me guess...it's grey hose from a big box store.

That stuff is krap with a capital K. Buy hose from the reputable supplier and be done with it

robert graham

Admiral
Probably best to bite the bullet and invest in some genuine Yamaha factory fuel line....it's not cheap but it's good!.....

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Had same issue with a Mariner grey fuel hose which had another internal sleeve, drove me crazy for some time. OB didn' want to rev higher, cut the hose at connector side and tiny pieces fell off hose, pieces were blocking fuel entrance to pump...shame on them!!

Happy Boating

robert graham

Admiral
Like I say, fuel lines are too important to buy cheap stuff....and the good stuff lasts a long time!...

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Had the same issue with 10 year old Mercury OEM hose, gray and slick, looked to be silicon material.