cobia elelictrical issuse

dean1953

Cadet
Bought a 2005 cobia 174 center console last year. used the boat a lot last year. The boat starts and runs good. Posted last year of trouble of motor running then shutting down to low RPM's. Read where Yamaha has a safety feature for overheating or low oil pressure. Would run at 2500 RMP's then pick back up. Well, came to the conclusion that is not my trouble. Have noticed in the past that everything on the boat is intermitting with power, (trim, radio, lights, bilge pump, gauges numbers breaking up, etc.) Not work then work, while on the water. Last time out fish finder showed low battery. New batteries. Recharged batteries, 13.5V. Started removing ground wires and cleaning terminals. Found one positive wire (thinking assy. wire) terminal green. Cleaned and replaced. Really do not think that is the only trouble. Have been trying to locate wiring diagram for the boat? Stator? Short? Limited knowledge of boat wiring troubleshooting without diagram. Neg. bus bar looks good. Could the brain box be my trouble or is there a way to check it? Thanks in advance for any HELP!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
dean1953, not sure how you cleaned any of the electrical connections. But I will say you can't look at any connections and determine if it is good or bad. You physically have to remove the connection and clean them to bright shiny metal and then reconnect them tightly. And that also goes for all the ground connections as well. Amazing how many folks forget that their ground wires also make up the ciruit and need to be clean and tight as well. So I suggest you start and go over all your connections and see how that works out before jumping into other issues and buying parts. You may find out you have no bad parts and cleaning connections doesn't cost you anything but time. JMHO

dean1953

Cadet
Thanks GM. The connections I have replaced, putting grease on before cripping, then heat shrink. Back at it now.