overheat problem with 2002 V-Max 225hp

Farmall 65

Recruit
I purchased a bass boat with a 3.1L EFI V-Max 225hp on it last summer. The previous owner let the impeller go to pieces. The motor is a 2002 model year and had 185 hours on it. A repair place replaced the impeller right before I bought it. The first 3 times I took it out it overheated at idle speed. I took it to the place the originally sold it and after 3 times doing this, and them cleaning out pieces of impeller, I had them put a new one in. They said the housing looked good. Now it does not heat up at idle, but if I go over 3900 rpms, it overheats and the rpms shut down. It takes about 25 minutes before I can start it again without the alarm still being on. Does anyone have any suggestions? I only have 215 hours on this motor.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
if the impeller shredded then there is a possibility there are still pieces in places the are blocking cooling passages.
That said, could the housing and other parts of water pump be a problem since you have not mentioned anything but the impeller?

Farmall 65

Recruit
The dealer who worked on it said the housing was fine. The 3rd time they looked at it, they saw no impeller pieces and that is when I had them put the new impeller kit in. Did I see something about the bigger horsepower engines having a problem getting enough oil injected at higher rpms?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
did they pull the heads to find all of the pieces of impeller?
or where did they find them.

Did they pull and test or replace the stats
inspect the PRV?

never heard of not getting enough oil causing over heat before.
running lean (fuel/air ratio)can cause heating up of pistons

My bet is still rubber pieces somewhere

BrettNC

Petty Officer 1st Class
I second what 99yam40 said. A quick test would be to remove the thermostats and covers, run the motor, and check for water gushing out of the thermostat housings. If water flows out then you can probably eliminate that part of the cooling system as the problem. Also remove the bypass valve and check for an obstruction.

N1NE1

Petty Officer 1st Class
My 02 hpdi 200 was overheating at idle speed. I changed out t-stats and poppit valve and that solved it

Last edited: