lost washer

duffg130

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I dropped a washer in my yamaha outboard lower unit and I don't know where it is. It fell into the void but I can't see it. I tried fishing around with a wire hanger but no luck. I turned the lower unit upside down a shook it but still nothing. I don't hear anything rattling around either. Can I replace lower unit and run it without damaging anything?

Attachments

• photo250521.jpg
    photo250521.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
duff, that area looks like the exhaust outlet area. I would try compressed air or water like Robert stated. Everything else is sealed and there is no possibility for it to get into the lower foot with the gears. JMHO

duffg130

Petty Officer 3rd Class
duff, that area looks like the exhaust outlet area. I would try compressed air or water like Robert stated. Everything else is sealed and there is no possibility for it to get into the lower foot with the gears. JMHO

Thank guys. I will try the water and/or air.

duffg130

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So I tried the garden hose and aside from the water coming out of the prop, the washer did not come out. I don't have access to a compressor right now. can I run the motor without causing damage? thanks

duffg130

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Maybe wash it out with the garden hose?....

I took the prop off, flushed with water and used a metal hanger. it seems like it's not in there. maybe it never fell in there but I'm 99% sure it did. nonetheless it doesn't seem to be in there.

robert graham

Admiral
Maybe your eyes fooled you and the washer went another direction?....don't you hate stuff like that!!!....maybe never know!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
what kind of washer was it?
If magnetic a good magnet might pick it up

gm280

Supreme Mariner
it's was a washer from one of the lower unit bolts. I'm confident it's not in that exhaust. oh well.

If you are certain it fell in the lower section of the engine foot, don't crank the engine until you find it. Take a good powerful magnet like 99yam40 suggestion and make absolutely certain it isn't logged in the foot section somewhere. If you can't find it, look all over the area you think you dropped it at. If it hit the side of the foot, it could have bounced farther way. But check everywhere first. Better to be sure then have any issues later on. JMHO

And yes we've all done the same thing from time to time. If gets aggravating to find those magic disappearing in to thin air parts. :facepalm: