1998 Yamaha 130HP outboard oil leak!!!! Need Help PLEASE!

98MaverickMA

Recruit
Good afternoon all,

I have a 1998 Maverick MA with the original motor, I've always maintained my boat and motor well. Just recently I was at the marina and had some trouble getting her started. The battery was almost dead and I got her to turn on for a bit, but shortly after she shut off and the battery was completely gone. With that being said, I swapped out the battery and tried again. This time I wasn't able to get her started and the manual fuel pump was really tight. So I open her up and popped the fuel line to see if it was clogged and it wasn't, all was fine. At this time I looked at the oil as well, seemed like it was a bit low to the naked eye and like an idiot I hit the emergency button to see if that would do anything. Shortly after that I tried to turn her again and nothing, when I looked at the motor now it was leaking oil, it wouldn?t stop pumping oil out from what seemed to be the bottom of the carb and out of the silencer (black plastic cover that blocks the carbs). With that being said this is where i stand now and have no idea who to turn to... has anyone experienced something like this?

I did read on an old forum that the sensor could?ve gone bad when I hit the emergency button and it wouldn?t stop pumping oil, hence all the oil pumping while the motor was off..... I?m just looking for some direction and maybe if anyone here has any good connects in Miami.

Thanks in advance!
Jason

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Well if the sensor went bad I would expect the tank on the motor to be overflowing. It sounds like you flooded the motor, the oil injection pump is mechanical only works when the motor is turning over or running. Or you have a broken line from the pump to the carb.

Last edited:

BrettNC

Petty Officer 1st Class
The overflow hose goes to the air silencer and empties out there. Sounds like it is overflowing. Check your sensor in the engine tank.