Yamaha 90 HP Warning Alarm

Larry Becker

Recruit
I have a 90HP Yamaha outboard that has started making an intermittent loud constant alarm. I have owned Mercury outboards to this point and this type of alarm sounds when the engine is low on oil or overheating. Checked the oil and it is fine. Checked the water stream and it is good. The engine alarm sounds sometimes when I am slow trolling or at a steady speed. The engine still runs smoothly. Any ideas out there?

robert graham

Admiral
Best to drop the lower unit and inspect the water pump....also check thermostat and pressure control valve....

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I have a 90HP Yamaha outboard that has started making an intermittent loud constant alarm. I have owned Mercury outboards to this point and this type of alarm sounds when the engine is low on oil or overheating. Checked the oil and it is fine. Checked the water stream and it is good. The engine alarm sounds sometimes when I am slow trolling or at a steady speed. The engine still runs smoothly. Any ideas out there?

what do the gauges tell you is wrong?

just because the oil tank is not low does not mean the oil system (float/wiring) does not have a problem,
or a steady stream of water out of the tell tail does not mean the motor is not overheating