130 HP Over Heating

Doh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok help again please. 130TLRV

My son hit a rock, and cracked the housing, so I purchased an SEI replacement, bolted it on and went out again. Everything was great before the Hard Water mishap.

So following SEIs break in instructions, I decided to make 2 trips to the cabin, 1/2 load each trip due to weight. so 3200 RPMs it ran good, a Strong stream from the TelTale. Up and Back about 25 miles. hooked up the Cabin Skiff he used to tow the boat down with, again it worked good for a few miles, then I went to 3500 RPM, shortly aft the Over Heat alarm came on. TelTale slowed. I back off and shut it down. Cooled it for a few minutes and continued. No Problems.

Next morning I went down empty, 3200 RPM everything was good, revved to 3500 and the flow would slow, eventually setting off the temp alarm. I got home and pulled the lower unit, everything was aligned. Pulled the Pump Housing, none of the bolts were tight, not a snap was heard. I checked everything, RTVed the oring and reassembled.

It ran flawless for another trip and a half at any RPM, Water out of the exhaust and Teltale. Coming back the second time Loaded, anything over 3500 RPM and water flow slowed.

So I am about to pull the unit again and see, but am I missing something? Thermostat? but why only at times and why not before? The hit wasn't a hard one, just the case, all the shafts are straight and no twists.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
post back what you find when you drop the lower again.
stats have nothing to do with how hard the Tell tail is.
but the pump does

Doh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Pulled the unit again, things looked fair. Pump Housing bolts were lightly snugged, but the horseshoe shaped washers seem to spin if I tightened them any tighter. It is hard to tell if the RTV blew out anywhere and it was sucking air again.

From what I can tell there is the gasket, then plate, then a shim/washer, then the Impeller, then a coil type shim, a shim, a Alum. cap then a plastic type cone that is split.

I am going to look for an expanded view.