Problems with a new Yamaha 150 4-stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.

perna00

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just bought a new sea fox. It has a Yamaha F150XB engine (150hp 4 stroke). When it is in neutral, everything is quiet. When I have it over 1,000 rpm, it is quiet. If a I put it into gear at low RPM's (500-700) it has a grinding noise. It sort of sounds like when you slow shift Into gear and it grinds but it fully engaged before the noise starts. I'm sort of worried since the engine only has 10 hours on it. Can anyone lend some advice?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Advice - Take it back to the dealer before the warranty expires and you have to pay to have it fixed.

Get your switches explained at the same time.

Last edited:

perna00

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the info. They want me to take it back for the 20 hour service...looks like I'll have a list for them. Fortunately; I have a 5 year warrantee on the engine!

Fishfinder0106

Recruit
I’m interested in knowing what happened to your Yamaha F150 grinding noise. My new motor is doing the same thing, it’s a Yamaha F150 also. Brought it back to dealer with less than 20 hours and was told that it’s normal for that motor

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
I’m interested in knowing what happened to your Yamaha F150 grinding noise. My new motor is doing the same thing, it’s a Yamaha F150 also. Brought it back to dealer with less than 20 hours and was told that it’s normal for that motor

Did your dealer mention prop rattle or chatter? That sounds like what the OP of this thread was describing. If so, it is completely normal. All four strokes may do it. The inline configuration moreso than the V6 configuration. Just depends upon the propeller installed.

Do you have a stain less steel propeller? I suspect that you do.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The OP has been gone for 3 years, so no answers from him. You should start a new thread so currently active members can advise you.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.