Yamaha 6 Cyl 200 HP Saltwater Series OB 1996

DYC

Recruit
Cold Start problem - Very difficult to start, if it starts. Once started it runs perfectly and restarts immediately at the turn of the key for the rest of the day and possibly for 3 to 4 days in a row. After a week of being idle, it reverts to not starting cold again. All new batteries, checked for proper spark. When running will achieve 4500 RPMs and 24.5 Foot Sportsman achieve approx. 35 MPH with the engine running smoothly.

Any ideas as to the solution to this starting problem.

Regards

DYC

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
make sure the choke plates are closing as the should when the problem shows up.

also do you open the throttles a small amount when starting cold along with hitting the choke?

I also think you may not have it propped correctly or the boat is under powered if all you can get is 4500 and 35MPH
I could not find a 24.5 foot riig with a 200. closest I could find was a 23
http://yamahaoutboards.com/sites/de...in_otb_2StrokePerf_OX666_200hp_0102-PSB-A.pdf

Last edited:

DYC

Recruit
I have discovered that this engine has a manual choke. Boat has started with minimal cranking using the manual choke. I also checked the electric choke with appears to be operating but is impacting the butterflys but won't start the engine like the manual choke. Does this give anyone a clue as to what is failing?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
As I said make sure the electric choke is closing the plates completely when you hit the choke

Reming870

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I agree with 99yam40. I had a similar issue and found the plates were not closing all the way because the electric choke arm(wire) was out of shape. Made a slight tweek and all is OK now.

How about priming? I have electric prime pumps but after sitting awhile I have to prime. Sometimes even on a cold day and a long drift (shark fishing) I lose enough prime to create start issues.

My motors are (S) and (L) 200TXRV 1997 carbs.