1993 85hp Yamaha

duffg130

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm sure I'll get mixed responses here but this forum is great and members have helped me with fixing my motor so here it goes..........I currently have a 16 foot Sylvan bow rider with a 50 horsepower Johnson. I love the boat and it fits my family fine but I couldn't pass up this deal. I just bought a 1992 Chaparral 1600. It's powered by a 1993 Yamaha 85hp, paid $900.00 for boat, motor and trailer. I was initially more interested in having engine for my aluminum boat but now I'm thinking of cleaning this boat up and keeping it. problem is that I've done so much work to the Sylvan. Ripped out the carpet, floors and foam. Replaced any popped rivets (which was a lot), pit in new foam, new painted marine grade plywood floor. removed the motor and replaced the transom wood with 1 1/2" marine grade plywood. as for the motor, replaced water pump, impeller, rebuilt carbs and with the help of this forum corrected some other issues. So I guess I'm just looking for suggestions and or input on the yamaha vs johnson (1984 50hp) motor and thoughts on doing the swap. steering cable appears to be the same. any thoughts on going from aluminum to fiberglass? Thanks

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
are you sure the transom you redid will hold the weight and power of a larger motor?
it is up to you to decide what you do,
not people you do not know on a forum

duffg130

Petty Officer 3rd Class
are you sure the transom you redid will hold the weight and power of a larger motor?
it is up to you to decide what you do,
not people you do not know on a forum

Thanks for the sarcasm. the sylvan is rated for a 90hp. it'll hold the weight. just looking for opinions, especially on people who have that motor.

Last edited:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Thanks for the sarcasm. the sylvan is rated for a 90hp. it'll hold the weight. just looking for opinions, especially on people who have that motor.

My dad has an 1985 model he bought brand new it's a wonderful motor a much better motor than a OMC 50 HP. It has been extremely reliable no major service just regular waterpump replacements. I recommend that motor highly smooth running and quiet also good on fuel and they weigh about 260# so relatively light. Not the most powerful 90 out there but one of the best running and easily the most reliable. His is on a Starcraft SS180 44 MPH. The 85 hp is the same as the 90

Last edited:

duffg130

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My dad has an 1985 model he bought brand new it's a wonderful motor a much better motor than a OMC 50 HP. It has been extremely reliable no major service just regular waterpump replacements. I recommend that motor highly smooth running and quiet also good on fuel and they weigh about 260# so relatively light. Not the most powerful 90 out there but one of the best running and easily the most reliable. His is on a Starcraft SS180 44 MPH. The 85 hp is the same as the 90

Thank you. The guy I bout it from has had it for 16 years and he's a mechanic so it seems to be in good shape. it sat for a little over a year so I'm having an issue with it running. it starts but I have to have someone manually hold the choke halfway to keep it running. seems to be just a fuel issue because it sounds strong. Thanks again.