1990 130 HP Yamaha 130ETLD Skiping

longvl85

Cadet
Hey Guys,

Having issue with my 130HP motor...currently it doesn't go over 2 mph and sounds like motor is skipping. Not sure what else to do...

I brought it to a reputable mechanic and they said they have no idea what is wrong with it.
They recommend I bring it to a Yamaha Dealer...

Worked that they did:
1.) Rebuilt Carbs
a.) Asked them to do that since motor was struggling to start after last winter
2.) Replace water separator filter
3.) Replaced Fuel Pump
4.) Replace Fuel Hose from Pump to carb
5.) Changed Fly Wheel
6.) Found broken Coil Pack and Replaced it
7.) Swapped our engine harness from a 150HP Yamaha
8.) Replaced CDI Unit.
9.) Run on external Tank with fresh fuel

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
test compression, spark, timing
test the alarm system to see if it is working properly along with the gauges that should alert you in case of problems

longvl85

Cadet
Thanks for reply. Just picked up boat.
The mechanic said they did compression and spark test. They all came back good.
Read through the manual and going to be testing the Temp Sensor, Oil Gauge Sensor, throttle sensor. Read through the manual and looks like I just need to check to see if the resistance is withing Yamaha specs. I found that that alarm was not connected. lol. Going to start the motor tomorrow after i pick up the key. I guess they forgot to put it on the boat. Will report my findings from those test.

longvl85

Cadet
Hmm my Gauges now longer work...they just light up amber. Tried bypassing the Thermo sensor thats no go. Tried unplugging remote tank.... Here is a video of it idling

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
so your alarm and gauges do not work, correct?
fix them, so you can find out what is going on with the motor

longvl85

Cadet
I tried hooking up my gauge and nothing shows up. I tried hooking up an aftermarket RPM Gauge and get nothing on it either.
I brought my motor to a shop in NY to look at and they said my CDI is stuck in Error.
So they said I should replace CDI but to get back up and running they showed me how to remove the rev limiter. They also said I should have my Carb rebuilt and I told them I just had it done. They said it doesn't sound like your carbs have been rebuilt...I mean I still struggle with the motor starting on its own. Which makes me wonder what the second shop did. Once new CDI is installed I will report back.