'98 Yamaha 2 stroke 115 - Excessive smoke at low idle - Fouled plugs

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class
After running all day, when I was coming back to the dock through a no wake zone I noticed it was running rough at around 1000 RPMs. Didn't think much about it so I continued on. I stopped to let everyone swim and on startup, there was excessive smoke (a lot). I moved on and noticed I was out of gas in the tank I was running on so I switched gas tanks. I figured the problem was that the smoke was because it was just burning oil instead of gas from the oil injection system.

I figured that my plugs were probably pretty well soaked but after running at higher speed, hopefully they would clean up. I ran it all the next day and again, it ran rough around 1000 RPMs, quite a bit of smoke at startup and low idle. So now, I'm home and trying to figure it out. Here is everything I know:

New plugs are now completely fouled with oil
Good compression (130 on all four cylinders)
Recently rebuilt carbs
New oil pump (remote tank)
New oil lines and filter
Oil linkage hooked up correctly

I'll of course replace the plugs again but if they're going to keep getting fouled, I need to figure out why.

Thank you for your help!

Captaincrisp

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds like you might be starving for fuel at idle. I had simaler isusse on a 250 2 stroke carbed yamaha was one low pressure fuel pump. Assuming you have them i would pull them off motor leave fuel hosses attached and pump primer bulb if a leak is present at one of the pumps theres your problem. There is a hole in the back they normably leak from. But some times leak at gasket surfaces. Good luck trouble shooting

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
motor sill not run on just oil.
recheck you oil pump linkage and settings