2002 yamaha 90 2 stroke

halboat

Cadet
digital tach stopped working. warning indicators arn't working either. warning buzzer is working. checked power on yellow wire and gnd. thats good. is there anything else i need to check before changing guage?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Although the problem you have is "electrical" in nature, it is an "engine specific"electrical issue so you would get better response if you post the question in the Yamaha Engine part of the form. This Electrical forum is for boat related electrical system problems.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This has been moved to the Yamaha section and other post deleted.

Carry on.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
digital tach stopped working. warning indicators arn't working either. warning buzzer is working. checked power on yellow wire and gnd. thats good. is there anything else i need to check before changing guage?

The yellow powers up the gauge, so if the gauge does not power up when there is a good ground and good power to it then I would say it is toast.

have you checked the harness connectors to make sure they are corrosion free

halboat

Cadet
Yes. I even ran 12V and a gnd straight to the gauge w/no joy. Does the rectifier/regulator provide signal to tach?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
lighting coil should be sending a signal and the tach counts the pulses
I thought it came off before the R&R, but could be wrong

halboat

Cadet
wiring diag shows alighting coil input goes to tach and R&R and electrothermal

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
service manual will show how much peak voltage you should read at different RPMs from the lighting coil with the proper test equipment.
Tach reads pulses