1998 Yamaha 115 2 stroke - Remote oil tank pump not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class
I noticed that my engine mounted oil tank was about 1/2 full after fishing one day when it's normally filled to the upper line on the tank. I thought that was weird so I tried the emergency switch to see about just pumping more oil into the tank but nothing happens. I checked the manual and it said to take ohm readings of the float to see if that's working and if it is, check to make sure you don't have corroded connections and if that's not the case, I should replace the CDI. What about checking the pump on the remote oil tank to see if that's working. Anyone know how to do that before I buy a CDI?

Thanks for your help.

Capt Ken

Commander
9 times out of 10 it's the electric pump in the rear of the main tank. While back there, check the small inline filter

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class
I found an article on troubleshooting this pump that was helpful. It said that the brown wire is the positive wire and the blue is the negative. I jumped them from the battery and the pump is definitely not working. So I'm going to replace the pump, filter and the lines on the remote tank. Just hoping that I don't have to replace the CDI. Looks expensive.

Dr. G

Recruit
I am having similar problems with a Yamaha SX200TXRB. The remote tank pump was working but the outer metal case was rusted badly and I thought moisture was getting in causing it to work intermittently or erratically. I replaced the pump motor and it pumps when the emergency switch is activated and it fills the motor reservoir, however it is still intermittent when running and occasionally I get a low oil alarm. I check the engine oil tank and sure enough it is low on oil and I need to activate the emergency oil switch to fill it. There seems to be an intermittent signal that tells the oil pump to turn on and fill the tank but there is not enough available published data for me to trace the problem. The float switch in the engine oil tank does cause the low oil alarm to sound, does it also tell the remote oil tank pump to turn on and off? If so is there a test procedure for this?

Doh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just did mine, for the second time in it`s life. It is the lift pump in the remote tank. The armature magnets fall off of the metal motor housing. So being Cheap, and nothing to lose. I cleaned the inside of the housing with emery cloth. Cleaned the outside of the magnets, and reglued them with Elmers Advanced Probond.
So far so good.

Except for, watch the orientation of the magnets when you take them out. I got mine back in backwards so the pump turned backwards. Now my inlet hose is the outlet hose.

The float sensor in the under hood tank is what turns the remote pump on. Check all of the wire connections from there to your remote tank.

Last edited:

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class
Update. I replaced the oil pump on the remote tank, all of the oil lines and the inline oil filter. Works perfectly. Thanks Capt. Ken for your input!

pancake

Cadet
I rebuilt my remote pump too , it works great now EXCEPT it runs backwards , I swapped the input /output oil lines to make it pump correctly. my brushes must of got installed backwards too. Which way are the brushes supposed to go?

Doh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I rebuilt my remote pump too , it works great now EXCEPT it runs backwards , I swapped the input /output oil lines to make it pump correctly. my brushes must of got installed backwards too. Which way are the brushes supposed to go?

LOL, Wow it is not just Me!

My Brushes never moved, but the Magnets I reglued must have been reversed when I reinstalled them.

pancake

Cadet
magnets never moved on mine, I just cleaned everything inside and reinstalled the brushes the way I thought it was . then got the fluid lines pumping opposite the way it was. Weird. i've rebuilt a number of electric motors and never had that happen. any ideas . why. it works but why did the flow/rotation reverse?

Status
Not open for further replies.