suzuki not peeing?

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer
2014 suzuki 115 4-stroke with maybe 30 hrs on it?

Its not peeing while running but at the same time not overheating either.

when I have the hose hooked to the side port to flush it, water will come out of that port though.

Its not the first time its done this either. it only had about 10 hrs on it and wasnt peeing but we were able to get it going again by fiddling with the port while on the water.

I know the peeing is just used as an indicator of water pump activity which is why I'm concerned.

I've got a 6 year warranty on the engine and am only on year 2 so I'm wondering if this would be covered by that?

bryanzzz

Seaman
If you hook it up with muffs and garden hose does water come out the prop exhaust? If so just disconnect pee hose under cowl, may have some trash blocking outlet. Have you ever cranked engine without water connected or with motor tilted out of water? I was doing some troubleshooting on my Yamaha F90, muffs and garden hose hooked up, started and stopped engine several times, the fourth time I started engine forgot to turn water on. Ran about one minute before I realized water off. Turned on water and nothing coming out pee hole or anywhere else, pulled lower unit to inspect impeller and it was destroyed. Yesterday installed new impeller and will look today for the missing pieces of the old impeller. Plan to pull thermostat to see if any rubber pieces are trapped.

stackz

I dont use muffs. there's a port on the side of the engine that I can unscrew and screw the garden hose directly into the engine and then pump water through it that way without the engine running. when I do this, water flows freely out the pee hole...just not when I'm out running around on the water.

liz873

Seaman
Not sure this will solve problem but it is always best to run motor in tank, many times flush ports are just that and don't provide necessary cooling when running. try using small diameter wire clean out pee hole , my suzuki easily clogs

bryanzzz

Seaman
My understanding of the hose connection on your engine, mine has one also, this should only be used to flush the engine, for example after salt water use. (If you understand this stop reading.) Your garden hose pressure is flushing water into the top end of motor and you see water stream out the pee hole. But, the flush connection is not necessarily supplying water to the impeller, if you have ever ran motor with garden hose hooked to the flush fitting you may have damaged your impeller...which may explain why water does not exit pee hole at the lake. So, if you have cranked your motor with the garden hose connected to the flush fitting I suggest you drop the lower unit and do an impeller inspection, plenty of youtube vids on how to do this, not as difficult as it looks. Good luck and keep us posted on what you find.

James R

Commander
Some Yams and Sukis wont water flow perform unless in a barrel or the pond. Make sure the pee hole is clear. Mud wasps love to block them.

stackz

well finally figured I would follow up on this. just had a chance to hook the engine up to muffs after swapping the water pump out over a week ago and it was the water pump after all. peeing just fine. dealer wanted $270 to do the pump and that was with hoping it wasnt a blockage which would cause more exploration and $$$.

I've done them before and said screw that. they also wanted $60 for the pump kit. nope. found it on ebay for $30 shipped. took a week and a half to get here but whatever. then took another week to finish other projects before getting to it...and like an idiot I did it at 3pm lol. 115*F heat index in the sun, yeah that was fun. stupid keyway was stuck as well. I put 2-4-c on E'erthing lol, not going through that again. its amazing the amount of corrosion on an engine that gets flushed religiously and only has 25 or so hours on it. made a believer out of me. then had to go out of town for a week. I swear life gets in the way sometimes.

old pump didnt even look all that bad honestly but it still wouldnt pee. this one has a nice firm stream on the muffs.