Suz DT55 quit running

Suzi55Jet

Seaman Apprentice
It fired up yesterday and I saw a leak in the line from the fuel pump to the carbs. It was sputtering. Replaced the line and filter but no restart. I opened the hose from the fuel pump and its spitting, not a constant flow. Is that normal? Compression is about 100 psi on all three cylinders. Any Ideas?

I get a backfire, so there is spark

NeiI

Last edited:

tommarvin

Ensign
It demoralizing when you work on your motor, and it worked, before you worked on your motor, been there done that.
You said there was a leak in the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carbs, was there a leak in the fuel line or at the connector? Always use screw hose clamps for fuel hose.
You said you replaced the filter,sure it's the correct inlet and outlet. Did fuel come out after the filter when you tested it?
Remove the plugs, squirt in one teaspoon/5 ML of fuel in all cylinders install the plugs, The motor will be flooded the first couple of crank overs, but if the motor fires or tries to start, you know it's no fuel

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
You could have an airlock in the pump take off the hose to the carbs and pump fuel through may just need to be primed. Try to use spring clamps or oetiker clamps on the lines.

Suzi55Jet

Seaman Apprentice
I rebuilt the fuel pump. drained all fuel including carbs. new fuel and no change. I'm about to leave for a fishing trip in the AM and it looks like i'll have to rent a boat. I get a backfire through the exhaust. Maybe a timing issue?

Hoping its not catastrophic. Amazed it keeps running every year, its a 1984

James R

Commander
Fill a spray bottle with fuel/oil mix. Remove the silencer cover from the front of the carbs. Have someone turn the motor over while you squirt the fuel mix into the carb throats if it fires you have a fuel supply problem.

Suzi55Jet

Seaman Apprentice
Take the flywheel off and check the flywheel key

I'm sorry I never came back to this thread. I got injured about the same time and was starting a new business so the boat was put on the back burner. It was the Flywheel Key. 69 cents at Ace. Somehow the flywheel nut loosened and the flywheel backed off the shaft and the rest is history.

I can't stand when people ask a question and go awol... like I did here. Sorry

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I'm sorry I never came back to this thread. I got injured about the same time and was starting a new business so the boat was put on the back burner. It was the Flywheel Key. 69 cents at Ace. Somehow the flywheel nut loosened and the flywheel backed off the shaft and the rest is history.

I can't stand when people ask a question and go awol... like I did here. Sorry
You need to find a factory key if possible to put in a hardware key may not hold up or can cause damage.